diy solar

diy solar

So which is better for charging?

rworell

If I connect (4) 100amp 12volt panels in series I would have 400 watts + 48volts output to charge?
VS
Connecting (4) 100amp panels in parallel staying at 12volts output to charge?
Do I get twice the charging speed in series?

Thank you. I’m new to this…
Rich

It depends on your charge controller. If it’s MPPT and can handle the maximum Voc of the string of panels during cloud edge and cold weather events then series is better.

What panels do you have (post a picture of the specs label) and what charge controller?

I prefer the parallel method for mobile installs because of shade killing the whole series, or if shade is not a factor like a fixed installation, then series.

I should have been more specific. It will be charging a BLUETTI AC200max. It allows up to 900 watts coming in to charge and up to 100volts.

I can’t afford enough panels to do the full 900 watts of charging for panels but I also want to get the best bang for my $. I was thinking a couple 200 watt panels but I’m told I need at least 6 (3)x200 panels to get a fairly quick charge around 5-6 hours with good sun.

If I connect (4) 100amp 12volt panels in series I would have 400 watts + 48volts output to charge?
VS
Connecting (4) 100amp panels in parallel staying at 12volts output to charge?
Do I get twice the charging speed in series?
Please do a bit more research and learn to use the acronyms. I pretty sure you don't have a 100amp 12V panel.

BTW, you're 12V panel most likely does NOT put out 12V. Look at the stick on the back of each panel. The sticker will tell you the panel's Vmp, Voc, Imp, Isc. Do you know what at means?

More likely than not, your 12V panels are outputting ~18.0V, so four in series would put out ~72V. That would be OK for a MPPT controller, such as the Epever Tracer series. With a cheap PMW controller that voltage might damage either the controller or the battery. I could not find any specs on what your Bluetti unit's controller capacity is, other than it can take a maximum of 1200W of solar.

I should have been more specific. It will be charging a BLUETTI AC200max. It allows up to 900 watts coming in to charge and up to 100volts.

I can’t afford enough panels to do the full 900 watts of charging for panels but I also want to get the best bang for my $. I was thinking a couple 200 watt panels but I’m told I need at least 6 (3)x200 panels to get a fairly quick charge around 5-6 hours with good sun.
If shadows cross the panels for the Bluetti, go parallel, and if not go series. If you go parallel you'll need to fuse them, which is around $40 of inline fuses or close to $160 for a Circuit Breaker and Box.

If money is a factor, put them in series and don't worry about the fuses.

Barring parrel producing more energy for shade, power is put out at the same rate.

As a caveat, the voltage going into the Bluetti needs to be strong enough to start charging and not above the max input.

I pretty sure you don't have a 100amp 12V panel.
I did not even notice the typo. I read that as 100 watt 12 volt panel totaling 400 Watts.:)

Don't spend money buying panels online. The shipping is built into the price. Go with cash and carry purchases, which will save a lot of money. Here is a seller in Maine offering 300W panels for 130$.

diy solar

diy solar
Back