diy solar

diy solar

So why buy an additional balancer if active balancing is part of bms? This turned into waste of time

Clearly the makers/sellers of "Mazava HC02 LED Tube Display Battery Equalizer Voltage Regulator 4pcs Batteries Active Balancer 4S Connected in Series for 48V Battery System Solar Power System Extend Battery Life" aren't native English speakers. They also seem to be using key words to try to get more views. Considering the target audience on the internet, it's not an inherently bad idea.
It is called advertising and marketing….. why they are normally separate department then technical which have to deal with the advertising

When you have multiple balancers in simultaneous operation you can have cross interference on cell voltage measurements that causes one or both balancers to read incorrect cell voltages therefore making wrong balancing decisions. Best to turn the weaker balancer off (likely the BMS resistor dump balancer).

Balancers shut down their balancing current momentarily when they make cell voltage measurements to avoid voltage drop on small gauge cell sense wires. The voltage sample is a quick snapshot, then balance current is resumed. Multiple balancers will operate independently and their cycle of measuring cell voltage, then re-enabling balance current dump/transfer is not synchronized.

With multiple balancers in operation, one balancer can be balancing with current flow while the other balancer is making cell voltage readings. You want to avoid this.

The worst thing you can do is to tie multiple balancers to a single common set of balancing lead wires to the battery. The small gauge wires to battery will create even more voltage drop when one of the balancers is doing a current dump/transfer. This will definitely affect the voltage measurement on the other balancer.

PLEASE do not argue with insulting posts or attack members that make insulting posts… REPORT THEM
Well, he does have a reputation for insulting people.
Ppl like him and brb58 is exactly why I started posting here we were having good dicussions until both want to appear…”insulting”

Ppl like him and brb58 is exactly why I started posting here we were having good dicussions until both want to appear…”insulting”
I haven't posted on this thread until this post. What is your issue with me on this thread?

The mpp solar 3048 has an equalizer feature built into according to documentation Warning the online documentation might not be same as inside and what comes with the product. So according to mpp solar it desulfates which is not a property of lifepo batteries to my knowledge.

Attachments

• 75FEB871-C566-4B3A-AFD4-1BA0A85111C3.jpeg
    75FEB871-C566-4B3A-AFD4-1BA0A85111C3.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 6
Because the one in the BMS is usually crap. Most built ins usually only balance in the milliamp range where an external one may do amps (thus faster).
That is why I use a 2 Amp active balancer and disable balancing on my BMS. In my case, my Orion JR2 BMS is actually very good at Coulomb counting and interfaces well with my Inverter. It just does not have the power to balance my grade B cells which constantly drift. Plus, it is a resistor bleed balancer which would take even longer if only one cell was low.

Last edited:
Reactions: D71
The mpp solar 3048 has an equalizer feature built into according to documentation Warning the online documentation might not be same as inside and what comes with the product. So according to mpp solar it desulfates which is not a property of lifepo batteries to my knowledge.
Even though it is an option, it can probably be disabled by configuration .... sorry, have no experience with those.

More advertising
Even though it is an option, it can probably be disabled by configuration .... sorry, have
sorry for some reason it quoted you

Attachments

• 258F53B0-D16B-4E7C-9C54-8324A9EA7D1C.jpeg
    258F53B0-D16B-4E7C-9C54-8324A9EA7D1C.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 6
  • A2A9BC31-49C7-406A-87F3-31CFDC97F929.png
    A2A9BC31-49C7-406A-87F3-31CFDC97F929.png
    906.8 KB · Views: 6
It is called the “thumbs up“ gang mentality. But it nice to see you actually post. Without being insulting…. ?? any 2 cents to add with the subject of balancers vs equalizers without being insulting

Ah... I get it now. YOU thought I was insulting YOUR reading comprehension. I meant that in the general sense. You are probably soured on me from me finding you incoherent, so you take anything that might be taken as an insult - an insult - even when it's not.

Given how well you dish it out, you really seem to be overly sensitive.

It helps to understand the terminology.

"Equalization" is a specific process for flooded lead acid batteries designed to recover capacity, burn off sulfation and increase cell specific gravity. It has absolutely nothing to do with LFP batteries.

An "Equalizer" is a completely different product that equalizes the voltage of the relevant elements by shifting charge from high voltage elements to lower voltage elements.

A consumer has some responsibility for their own education. I have bought several products in error because I mis-read something, missed a detail, or assumed something. Rather than jump up and down with outrage at the advertiser for my own ignorance, I try to find where I went wrong, so I can avoid repeating that mistake in the future. Sometimes I just eat those products as part of the lesson. Sometimes I return them if there's a liberal return policy as "ordered by mistake."

More advertising

sorry for some reason it quoted you
That mostly looks like market BS .... and I'm not quite sure why a "good" BMS should have GPS. Is it somehow necessary for the battery to know where it is at all times?

That mostly looks like market BS .... and I'm not quite sure why a "good" BMS should have GPS. Is it somehow necessary for the battery to know where it is at all times?
But bob this guy is saying it…. There is good info there… but lot of things depend. If there was a one shoe fits all we would be clones and do everything just alike almost like Robotic AI except different task and different programming and ….. you see where it goes for incoherent…. But applicable for some of it. We would be the same but different.

Attachments

• 94970EC6-E81F-4FEF-8E2C-0C8720A5CC54.jpeg
    94970EC6-E81F-4FEF-8E2C-0C8720A5CC54.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 8
Why buy an active balancer if active balancing is built-in as part of the bms?
I agree. If the BMS actually has an active balancer (vs a bleed balance function) there is no need for an additional active balancer.
Probably no reason to do an initial top balance either.

Off topic don’t want gps in my bms and don’t like the blue tooth being open in my himassi smart heated bt batteries either…… it should be secured. Most everything smart tied to satellite or internet from china has bothered me for years We already know they hack back door into security cameras purchased from china. Same for smart tvs. We might as well allow them access over our back up supplied bms batteries and track us while at it. They get all the power data built into their programming sent to them for all the ppl using it but that is off topic

I agree. If the BMS actually has an active balancer (vs a bleed balance function) there is no need for an additional active balancer.
Documentation that I’ve read definitely recommend top balance

i doubt my himassi batteries had anything tested arrived 0 percent soc no cycles

I did a parallel top balance on my 42kWh pack and after assembling it. the active balancer still had some work to do. Therefore, despite the extensive documentation suggesting top balancing is required, I think a case can be made for letting an active balancer to the final balancing if one carefully monitors that process. It may require slowly adjusting up the CV set point or letting the tail current taper longer. It is not something I would recommend for novices.
As much as I cleaned the cell terminals and bus bars and immediately applied NoAlox, my BMS still showed differences in internal resistance between each group of 3 buddy pairs. My pack is 3P16S.

Sample of my batteries getting wild during charging then settling down later. 1 cell is trying to be a prick…. The bms in the himassi will reel it back in given time….. it is not immediate nor fast in this process. I did take samples of this example with 2 different programs but regardless it acts the same with either or for the programs. The one cell reading for the ee-bms app in blue highlight has run up. The vip-bms shows them settled again the apps will show the same results.
I personally don’t want to watch the cell voltages like and ocd complusive …. Basically want my bms to handle it as it appears to be doing for rogue cell.

Attachments

• 0FFB7DA2-16C6-40CB-921B-B37B32A765BF.jpeg
    0FFB7DA2-16C6-40CB-921B-B37B32A765BF.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 8676484D-FFB6-4E65-B881-30A65CE18923.jpeg
    8676484D-FFB6-4E65-B881-30A65CE18923.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 8
I did a parallel top balance on my 42kWh pack and after assembling it. the active balancer still had some work to do. Therefore, despite the extensive documentation suggesting top balancing is required, I think a case can be made for letting an active balancer to the final balancing if one carefully monitors that process. It may require slowly adjusting up the CV set point or letting the tail current taper longer. It is not something I would recommend for novices.
As much as I cleaned the cell terminals and bus bars and immediately applied NoAlox, my BMS still showed differences in internal resistance between each group of 3 buddy pairs. My pack is 3P16S.
Agree see my other post edit added above

Do you have anyway to know if it is real power transfer vs bleed voltage drop? Any simple quick way? Lifepo have their normal drop in voltages over time and probably more so with loads and functions of a bms. The more thing the bms is tasked obviously the more it will drain the soc. Right?

Back