diy solar

diy solar

Sofar ME-3000SP id52 fault - has anyone seen this?

geoff1974

Hi,
About two years ago I got a battery system installed on my existing solar installation. Unfortunately, the installers went bankrupt and they didn't register me with any insurance system, so I'm completely without cover for faults on the system. The warranty on the kit is still good but the manufacturer is Sofar, who are really hard to contact and to get to respond to emails. I've logged a warranty claim with them but they aren't very communicative from China, so I thought I'd come on here to see if anyone else had a similar problem.

Basically there are two problems - a wifi communication issue which is annoying, and a communication issue between the inverter and batteries which makes the system unusable.

The inverter is a Sofar ME-3000SP, connected to two Sofar Amass GTX2000 batteries, giving me 4.2kWh of storage capacity. The inverter firmware is v320 - the latest. Last week, a ID52 BatCommunicationFlag error came up indicating an issue with the connection from the battery to inverter. I checked the cables and nothing seems out of place. Nothing could have moved it as it's in the loft. I managed to speak to someone at Sofar who said it's probably a physical issue, which I really do doubt since it's in such a stable place. The batteries won't charge or discharge any more, but the solar panels are still feeding the house so I'm at least getting some benefit from the system.

The other issue is the wifi module on the inverter won't maintain a connection for more than a few minutes. It's always been up and down and I always assumed that this was because it's in the loft, so far from the router, but when I set up an extender near the hatch it still drops. I also can't connect to the inverter's wifi network any more, getting an incorrect password error mostly, but when I do connect it drops off. This also caused issues for tech support because it meant they couldn't push out a firmware update with a connection this bad.

I've tried calling a few people out but most are reluctant to touch the work of another company, recommending I log a warranty claim. I logged a claim and Sofar support would like me to get a registered installer to check it out, so now I'm going around in circles. Sofar recommended flashing the firmware which I did - no change.

The cabling all looks good to me, so what else would cause a BatCommunicationFlag apart from cabling between batteries and inverter?

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers,

A physical issue makes the most sense. Especially since the installation company went bankrupt.

Are you wanting us to walk you through resolving the battery issues? I understand other companies not wanting to take over someone else’s install, but is that because you are trying to get them to do warranty work? Or are you trying to hire them to resolve issues?
Post pictures of everything.
Unstable Wi-Fi could be from noisy equipment.

Back