diy solar

diy solar

Sofar ME3000SP g100 cert

solartone

Upon testing the ME3000SP for compliance with g100 I cannot get the inverter to behave as it should. It should shut down if the grid CT fails.
Can anyone assist?

Welcome!

No idea about the Sofar, but my Solis has a menu option to cut off export power limitation if the RS485 connection to the grid CT/Acrel power meter fails. On the Solis, it is enabled by default.

So first question is have you set export power limitation - this presumably will need to be on in the first place for the inverter to have something to cut off?

Secondly, is there a menu option to cut off when export power monitoring fails?

Welcome!

No idea about the Sofar, but my Solis has a menu option to cut off export power limitation if the RS485 connection to the grid CT/Acrel power meter fails. On the Solis, it is enabled by default.

So first question is have you set export power limitation - this presumably will need to be on in the first place for the inverter to have something to cut off?

Secondly, is there a menu option to cut off when export power monitoring fails?
Hi,
No setting as you suggest.
Inverter set in Auto mode which controls the charge/ discharge to maintain zero grid usage if possible.
The g100 cert indicates that if the grid CT is disconnected then the unit should shut down within 5 seconds, cannot seem to achieve this.

That's odd, if the inverter is G100 compliant, it would have export power limitation settings.

I'm not familiar with that device, but what is its output power?

For < 16A per phase (3680W) it should be G98 compliant.
For > 3680W, it should be G99 compliant with optional G100 compliance.

Do you have a link to the specification of your specific model?

i thought that if it is on the ENT listing as approved, which it is, then its approved already, so not sure why you would be having to test it?

what size battery bank are you using? is that the reason youre testing for G100?

i thought that if it is on the ENT listing as approved, which it is, then its approved already, so not sure why you would be having to test it?

what size battery bank are you using? is that the reason youre testing for G100?
Presumably to test the installation is working in anticipation of a potential DNO inspection prior to commissioning?

Ah! just looked it up.

Assuming it is this one..

Then it is only 3kW inverter so comes under G98 compliance and not G99/G100. So there's no G100 to check (y)

Ah! just looked it up.

Assuming it is this one..

Then it is only 3kW inverter so comes under G98 compliance and not G99/G100. So there's no G100 to check (y)
Not according to the DNO.
Need to complete the G99 fast track commissioning A3.2 and the G100 commissioning & testing sheet. Due to export limitation.

That's odd, if the inverter is G100 compliant, it would have export power limitation settings.

I'm not familiar with that device, but what is its output power?

For < 16A per phase (3680W) it should be G98 compliant.
For > 3680W, it should be G99 compliant with optional G100 compliance.

Do you have a link to the specification of your specific model?

OK, I see it has no PV input. In which case I have no idea, sorry. Guess best to contact Sofar tech support unless someone comes along who has one and know how that feature is enabled.

@SeaGal
@solartone

i too am confused. if its compliant in the UK/NI according to the EN test register, then why should it not be deemed compliant, whether it has PV input or not. Which is why i asked the question, is the additional compliance requirement related to the batteries and not to the inverter?

if you check out Stuart Pittaway on youtube, he fitted the Sofar ME3000SP and obtained the relevant permissions without a problem

i too am confused.
(y) I suspect that we don't have all the information.

My wild guess (and I hate making guesses) is that he already has a grid-tied PV inverter and is looking to add this energy storage inverter. So, although the Sofar ME3000SP is G98 compliant and only needs 'notification-after-install', because he already has an inverter this is pushing him into G99 territory and his DNO has specified that a maximum export is adhered to, hence the need for G100 export power limitation. But, as I just a pure guess.

(y) I suspect that we don't have all the information.

My wild guess (and I hate making guesses) is that he already has a grid-tied PV inverter and is looking to add this energy storage inverter. So, although the Sofar ME3000SP is G98 compliant and only needs 'notification-after-install', because he already has an inverter this is pushing him into G99 territory and his DNO has specified that a maximum export is adhered to, hence the need for G100 export power limitation. But, as I just a pure guess.
You are absolutely spot on

In which case the Sofar won't normally be exporting any energy (hopefully), so all you will need is for it to have the ability to shut down if it looses grid import/export measurement, which is what you were presumably asking about in the first post.

Have you tried Sofar tech support / customer care / whatever they call it?

You are absolutely spot on
that makes sense now, are you happy to share the details/content/cost of your application please, i think i may have to do the same. i have actually removed my Sofar (which was installed for two days) as i wanted and acquired a bigger inverter (Sunysnk 5kw) to take advantage of a higher charging rate from the grid overnight, and didnt want to make more than one application. as the electrician i am using is not MiCS he doesnt have experience or knowledge of the paperwork/application side, so i am doing that part.

as regards the g100 compliance, the document provided by @solartone shows the inverter is g100 compliant, does a test have to be carried out?

i mentioned Stuart Pittaway in an earlier post, he has the same set up as you (and i do, ie existing pv installation under generous FiT payments) he obtained permission fairly easily and quickly according to his you tube video. looks like i need to watch it again to see the steps he followed as although i am looking to add a bigger inverter, if a 3kw takes me into g100 scope, then i am sure a 5kw will have the same effect.

Last edited:
I initially applied for the permission of the installation of the battery storage using the fast track application. I already had the full allowance for export from my PV @ 3.6kW under g98.
I received a reply from northern power grid allowing the installation under the fast track but had to complete the g99 form A3.2 & g100 commissioning form.
The maximum intrinsic design capacity of all generation equipment is no greater than 32A.
If you want to go over the 32A then it's a full g99 application.
The application falls under SGI-3, which I have questioned but currently have not received a reply.

Last edited:
In which case the Sofar won't normally be exporting any energy (hopefully), so all you will need is for it to have the ability to shut down if it looses grid import/export measurement, which is what you were presumably asking about in the first post.

Have you tried Sofar tech support / customer care / whatever they call it?
Been back & forth to Sofar tech support but still no definitive answer. Still waiting for confirmation

I initially applied for the permission of the installation of the battery storage using the fast track application. I already had the full allowance for export from my PV @ 3.6kW under g98.
I received a reply from northern power grid allowing the installation under the fast track but had to complete the g99 form A3.2 & g100 commissioning form.
The maximum intrinsic design capacity of all generation equipment is no greater than 32A.
If you want to go over the 32A then it's a full g99 application.
The application falls under SGI-3, which I have questioned but currently have not received a reply.
What size is your battery bank? I have removed my Sofar after a day or so as I really wanted a bigger inverter to be able to charge my intended 28.6kw battery system.
I have gone for a Sunsynk 5kw which has ENA approval and certification for G98 and G100 which are all published and downloadable

I will have a look at what I need to do and start the application when I return to the UK from holiday

Currently only 4.8kW of battery. The DNO are not interested in the size of battery only potential export to the grid.
Depending on what they decide you can export.
It seems you must verify the operation under G100 at commissioning.
All a bit of a lottery I think.

This is the commissioning form
As far as I understand from reading it through you only need to fill in appendix c if your inverter has G100 approval, quoting the ref number in the designated spot and confirming it complies in the other boxes.
Or am I missing something major.

Attachments

• g100_a2_457461.pdf
    556.8 KB · Views: 6
Or am I missing something major.
IIRC, the DNO reserve the option to be present during commissioning - so that they can observe the various tests (such as inverter shutting down if grid monitoring comms is lost) perform correctly.

I have no idea whether, in practice, this happens - maybe it depends who your DNO is, or how bored they are that day?

The Saga continues & concludes.
There has been zero response from the DNO to any of my questions regarding the SGI-3.
I got bored of waiting so just submitted the A3.2 & G100 installation & commissioning forms filled out using my best guess.
Today I received a reply that the forms have been received & logged in their system.
So I assume all is OK.
As for the Sofar ME3000SP, there is some confusion as to G100 compliance.
It's not on the EREC register.
I have been in constant contact with Sofar tech support regarding the issue I have.
They have promised a solution/ outcome by Thursday from tech guys in China.

Today I received a reply that the forms have been received & logged in their system.
So I assume all is OK.
I got various emails - one of which was receipt of application, then a bit later one that explicity stated the application was approved.

I got various emails - one of which was receipt of application, then a bit later one that explicity stated the application was approved.
Is that your G99 application. I have one in at the moment since begining of July and heard nothing. Wondering if I should go ahead and install and send in the commissioning sheets A3-2 and G100.

diy solar

diy solar
Back