diy solar

diy solar

Solar Address Wall lighting questions

Midknightoil

I created a large 12v li-ion battery pack to power a 12v lighting system for my address wall. The capacity is sufficient for autonomous operation for a couple days to counter weather issues but I have been challenged by the selection of a reasonably priced, wirelessly monitorable pwm/mppt. I have tried the VS2024AU and the Win-MPPT Series controller. The VS seemed extremely inefficient and lacked wireless capability and the Win-MPPT while wireless capable appeared to have issues with properly managing Li-ion charging. I welcome any recommendations to help in finding a cost-effective yet capable controller. To be clear, all the electronic equipment, including the battery are housed in a 50 caliber ammo can. That can will be housed inside the concrete pillar on the wall to maximize maintaining stable temperatures throughout the year. The solution must fit within that ammo housing. Thank you for any support you can offer.

Victron Smart Solar MPPT charge controllers are considered to have an excellent wireless monitoring capability, I have a 250|100 which I like a lot. Maybe watch some You Tube videos on them if you would like to see more...

Victron is always a trusted name. But with it comes the price tag. Given that it will reside in a address wall cavity I was shooting for a more affordable solution. The Win-MPPT looked promising but it seems ill-suited for li-ion. Makes me wonder if there are ways to flash the unit to be more li-ion friendly. At the end of the day it would just be tweaking the charge ratings and overcharge conditions. The wireless was not a show stopper, it just seemed advantageous as it will be rather tedious to remove from the wall once in operation. I will do some reviews of the 100 to review its usage. Thank you.

The one I got 250|100 is expensive, but I had wanted the largest capacity. If you don't need that big, then don't go that large, there are several less expensive models. BTW, the first number (like 250) is for the max PV input voltage number, while the last part (like 100) is for the max battery charging amps.

So I had wanted the 250|100, so I could string 4x large panels in series without going over PV max volts, and to get up to the max charging amps of 100a.

Victron has a PDF with all the comparisons between models which is good to have a look at. There are some that are way cheaper than mine. Then there is also BlueSolar vs SmartSolar which are 2 different classes within those (which you could compare the difference there, I don't remember off the top of my head anymore, I just know that SmartSolar was the one I had wanted)...

I created a large 12v li-ion battery pack to power a 12v lighting system for my address wall.
I am not sure I know what an address wall is so my apologies if I misunderstood. I have a four number address backlight address sign near my front door that draws 5 Watts. I have 6 kWs of solar on my roof that powers that and a few other things.

@Ampster It is exactly that. I have two builds for two walls. I anticipate the wall lighting will use no more than 15-20watts. All lighting will be 12vdc and keys on led to reduce power requirements. The Address wall is just a wall to my driveway entrance with my address number lit on the wall.

Back