diy solar

diy solar

Solar array mounted on Flatbed semi trailer?

Dave911

Solar Enthusiast
I'm planning my solar install. I want plenty of solar since we get some dim days in Northern Indiana in the winter.
Summer is easy. Winter is a lot harder up here.
I have a flatbed semi trailer, 48 ft long that has seen better days.
I was considering a south facing ground mount about 50 ft long and the 48 ft long trailer is sitting in view. Hmm....
Why couldn't I weld a steel frame onto this trailer bed and put up 48 ft of solar panels at about 50 degrees for best winter collection?
Getting 480 sq ft of solar on this trailer probably wouldn't be difficult. If I find that keeping it pointed due south isn't the best I can just move it to face south east, etc.
Has anyone here done this or seen it done?

I'm planning my solar install. I want plenty of solar since we get some dim days in Northern Indiana in the winter.
I was considering a south facing ground mount about 50 ft long and the 48 ft long trailer is sitting in view. Hmm....
Why couldn't I weld a steel frame onto this trailer bed and put up 48 ft of solar panels at about 50 degrees for best winter collection?
Getting 480 sq ft of solar on this trailer probably wouldn't be difficult. If I find that keeping it pointed due south isn't the best I can just move it to face south east, etc.
Not on a 48 footer but seen a bunch of utility type trailer mounts. Additional benefit is it's mobile, code enforcement can be rendered powerless.

May want to go steeper than 50 degrees to maximize winter production and better snow sheddi
Yes, maybe 60+ degrees would be better for winter. Although we have had very little snow here the last several years. I may try and make it pivot. That way it will be fully adjustable. I was looking for a reason not to do this, but I think Ill pursue it. I have a lot of steel and a really nice surplus steel yard less than 10 miles away.

Brilliant

Sounds like a great use for the trailer and as you are into metal work, you could make adjustable angle frames. Once you go through a whole year, you'll have your summer, spring/ autumn and winter angles of dangle that you will be able to preset in the following years.
And as already has been said, code enforcement can kiss your nether regions especially if you mount your batteries and inverters on said trailer too 😁

diy solar

diy solar
Back