diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant - Now Supports SRNE Hybrid Inverters

Aerial Gopher

I was in communication with the developer in the past week, and he has allowed me to test out Solar Assistant with an SRNE 3KW hybrid inverter. I am not sure if this was released to public yet, but its working. Its 1 am and I do not have time to play around with it right now, I will post screenshots of it later.

Will give the developer credit, I downloaded it, and just to test if any of the other inverters would have the same communication as SRNE, and they did not. Emailed the developer and he stated there would be a release this weekend that supported SRNE, and at about 6pm On Friday, that was the case. Not sure if he just started to work on it in the past week or if it was before, but there is a functional product! AWESOME!

1657350435348.png
1657350501055.png
1657350554186.png

Is there a way to use solar assistant on a windows pc? Don't want to have to buy a raspberry pi device.

Is there a way to use solar assistant on a windows pc? Don't want to have to buy a raspberry pi device.
Why? you would have to keep the PC on all the time to log data. uses more power, costs more. no upside. spend $30 on a pie and run it on there.
Unless I am missing the upside of running it on a PC ( It can't ) but what are the benefits of doing that?

I think it worked on a pi zero? check the spec requirements, those are even cheaper than a big pie.

Last edited:
Why? you would have to keep the PC on all the time to log data. uses more power, costs more. no upside. spend $30 on a pie and run it on there.
Unless I am missing the upside of running it on a PC ( It can't ) but what are the benefits of doing that?

I think it worked on a pi zero? check the spec requirements, those are even cheaper than a big pie.
I have a windows 10 laptop that I do nothing with, why would I spend extra on a raspberry pie? Here https://solar-assistant.io/shop/products/device_rpi4 it would be near $200. If I could buy the software, and install on windows, I could remote into my laptop any hour of any day of the week like I currently do.

No, just use a Pi. Super simple, cheap, low power consumption compared to any PC or laptop.

2 questions if i may?

which model of pi?
is it in stock?

cos i've been after a pi 3b or 3b+ to run Venus OS on - and they've been OOS for ages

They should have min specs on their site. Can’t remember what I bought as it was a while ago. Thing just runs with no issues.

well here is an interesting idea. How about a virtual machine? is that possible? I don't have enough time to play around to figure it out, but maybe someone else does? :p
This would only make sense if the thing was already running for another purpose, but the Pi is way less energy.

I wished the developer would support the Outback skybox. The skybox api is well documented.

I Dumped the SRNE inverter, was way too loud, I did not know how much quieter the GroWATT SPF 3000 would be. LIKE WOW that was different.
The SRNE has a weird pause in charging and PV level every 12 minutes. I have another post regarding that. GroWatt has a nice smooth line no drops to 0 PV input every 12 minutes. Watts247.com had a better price than I could get from Aliexpress and he shipped it out right away on Friday afternoon, got it Monday. Awesome service. Also very knowledgeable.

I was in communication with the developer in the past week, and he has allowed me to test out Solar Assistant with an SRNE 3KW hybrid inverter. I am not sure if this was released to public yet, but its working. Its 1 am and I do not have time to play around with it right now, I will post screenshots of it later.

Will give the developer credit, I downloaded it, and just to test if any of the other inverters would have the same communication as SRNE, and they did not. Emailed the developer and he stated there would be a release this weekend that supported SRNE, and at about 6pm On Friday, that was the case. Not sure if he just started to work on it in the past week or if it was before, but there is a functional product! AWESOME!

View attachment 101859
View attachment 101860
View attachment 101861
Is there a manual or document covering the RS485 communication with the SRNE inverters? I’d like to collect the data directly through RS485 if there is a document showing which registers to read via RS485 somewhere…

View attachment 101859
View attachment 101860
View attachment 101861
hi
I have solar assistant software also and 3 SRNE SR-HYP4850U100-H inverters in 3 phase the software only see RS485 address nr 1
the other inverters are address nr 2 and nr 3 the usb drivers doesn't work
i have email solar assistant support many times they don't answer or respond back
can any one help me with this challenge??

hi
I have solar assistant software also and 3 SRNE SR-HYP4850U100-H inverters in 3 phase the software only see RS485 address nr 1
the other inverters are address nr 2 and nr 3 the usb drivers doesn't work
i have email solar assistant support many times they don't answer or respond back
can any one help me with this challenge??
Exactly my problem, although my inverters are in single phase. Only the leading inverter produces a USB signal. I think it might be a 'feature' of SRNE inverters. Vince at Solar Assistant tried to make them work remotely, but no dice. He suggested I run the inverters to a laptop with SRNE software, and failing that, to try using RS232. I may have to find a laptop from somewhere (I'm a Mac man).

Exactly my problem, although my inverters are in single phase. Only the leading inverter produces a USB signal. I think it might be a 'feature' of SRNE inverters. Vince at Solar Assistant tried to make them work remotely, but no dice. He suggested I run the inverters to a laptop with SRNE software, and failing that, to try using RS232. I may have to find a laptop from somewhere (I'm a Mac man).
i will be trying with home assistant

diy solar

diy solar
Back