diy solar

diy solar

Solar cable sizing calculator surprise!

12VoltInstalls

life passes by too quickly to not live in freedom
I feel dumb posting this but I am perplexed after trying a couple online calculators. I’m helping a local/neighbor install a 6548, two server-rack 5kWh batteries, and twelve roof-mounted 300W panels.

The solar panel cabling will have ‘losses’ and that’s ok. Initially used a calculator that said ~5% for 10AWG thhn and I was ok with that for the one-way 130+ feet.

Yesterday I tried another calculator that someone posted her for education/entertainment value. It said 8ga was required at 20% loss. What? Another site said 9.x%. So I thought I’d look it up here. But apparently others have had confusion, too.
So here are the specs on the 300MS panels:1703706709332.png
I will be running three 4S strings to a combiner box, which will output one 4S string (~130V, ~9.25A, ~160VOC) and one 4S2P (~130V, ~19A, ~160VOC). I was planning 8ga but 10ga seemed fine for the amps and the footprinthero calculator “approved” the 4S run.

With the 250VOC limit on the 6548 6S won’t work in Vermont.

What gives with these calculators? I used them to bolster confidence and verify my plan but the later-found disparity lowered my confidence.

I can buy 8ga thhn but that’s another $300+.
Or I could run the 4S2P with 2 pairs of 10ga I suppose.
Or is 10ga fine (being that I’m fine with the loss- initially was going with ten 300W panels but the 12-unit pallet was attractively priced versus singles x ten. So “free” watts to save on wire was my idea). I could always do 5S2P and ‘save’ the two as spares.

Thank you for thinking about my dumb cabling question.

I have not retried “footprint hero” fwiw

Post what you are loading the wire with.

8awg has 40Amp ampacity basically.

10 will handle 30

Loss is calculated based on the amps being drawn vs. the volts being pushed.

Since you are limited in voc to 250V what will the max vmp voltage be pushing? And at that voltage, what amps will you feed to each controller?

Thank you for the replies.
Post what you are loading the wire with.

8awg has 40Amp ampacity basically.
10 will handle 30
Right. That’s what I was going on.
Voltage drop was a bit high but I could live with it for his setup.
Since you are limited in voc to 250V what will the max vmp voltage be pushing? And at that voltage, what amps will you feed to each controller?
This:
one 4S string (~130V, ~9.25A, ~160VOC) and one 4S2P (~130V, ~19A, ~160VOC)
That’s what I thought.
Those online calculators fuzzled my head.
This one is about what I did the first time.
A big loss but acceptable. 8ga is only ~1% better.
The one that confused me said 22% loss
1703710424615.png

Yes. And if you squint or cover your eyes like I did you don’t see 7% loss.
So it is fine…
7.9%, but there will almost never (or never) have 19A in the conductor.
The more realistic NMOT rating for those 300W panel give 7.4A, let say15A for your 2P.
Voltage drop at 15A is 6.4%... if your 270 ft is ok.
Isn't supposed to enter only one-way distance, so 135 fts?

Isn't supposed to enter only one-way distance, so 135 fts?
Hmm. I could have made an assumption in error by including round-trip length.

The neighbor chose his garage roof location - hence the one-way 135’. My original suggestion of a nearer ground mount would be more optimal imho.
But again: if I doubled the homerun length wrongly it’s actually enough ‘better’ to not be concerned at all. The variance in the calculators is what got me concerned.
I will go back and look at a couple of calculators I used and see if they note what the parameters they require for length.

Either way, I’m comfortable with the run and losses for the application.

Last edited:
Hmm. I could have made an assumption in error by including round-trip length.

The neighbor chose his garage roof location - hence the one-way 135’. My original suggestion of a nearer ground mount would be more optimal imho.
But again: if I doubled the homerun length wrongly it’s actually enough ‘better’ to not be concerned at all. The variance in the calculators is what got me concerned.
I will go back and look at a couple of calculators I used and see if they note what the parameters they require for length.

Either way, I’m comfortable with the run and losses for the application.
What calculator are you using these days?

Back