diy solar

diy solar

Solar for IP camera

Kevin Gould

OK, here goes..

I need to have an IP camera above my front door mounted on my porch roof but there is no mains electric close. I was therefore hoping to use a solar panel but I need it to work 24 hours a day as I will have remote access to it using an app. The power supply is a plug with adapter and detachable usb lead.

How can I achieve the above and what size panel would be required.

I assume this is a WiFi IP camera?

Is PoE out of the question? PoE is the conventional solution to what you want for a lot of reasons. That seems a LOT simpler than finding space for a battery + solar panel and doing the necessary engineering and electrical/etc construction work.

You’re going to save hundreds of dollars and 10-20 hours up front (learning buying and implementing) with PoE versus going with solar, and you don’t need to deal with the extra ongoing maintenance complexity and awkwardly placed battery/solar panel.

Another option is to pull a low voltage line to the WiFi camera. The permitting and installation requirements are relaxed for things under around 50VDC and under 100W. Most WiFi cameras only needs about 5-10W

EDIT: you can look up how Ring cameras are installed, they use low voltage power circuits but not PoE

PoE is itself a low power circuit but carries network with it.

Last edited:
Not sure from your post if you already have the camera, but if you don't and you have WiFi around the house:

There are many different kinds of cameras. Some cameras don't use any power until its passive IR sensor notices movement and then it records. They have a small Li-ion battery that can power these types of cameras for a few months at a time. Wyze makes an ourdoor camera that does this. Ring makes an indoor/outdoor Stickup camera that works the same way. Some of them also have the option of an addon 5w solar panel to keep the li-ion battery topped off.

Other types of cameras can be recording continuously, 24 hours a day. These obviously use a lot more power than the motion activated ones. For these kinds of cameras, you will likely need a 100AH 12-volt LiFePo4 battery with a 50w to 100w solar panel and a suitable charge controller.

Many thanks for all your replies. Going to re-position the router as everything else is wifi and buy a poe camera and sell the wifi one.

Back