diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel mix and matching

JaySolar

Hi everyone,

I just came into a pallet of solar panels in addition to my beginning sets of panels and I need help figuring out how to make best use of everything.

Equipment list:
2x Growatt 3000 TL - es? ( The battery less one from watts247)

9x Trina TSM PC 290watts
6x REC REC260PE 260watts
27x Suntech STP200 - 18/Ub -1 200watts

As it stands, the best arrangement I could figure out is:
Inverter A:
5 panel Trina string in parallel with 6 panel Rec string

Inverter B:
2 identical strings of 2 Trina with 4 Suntech in series.

One dilemma is that I'm not sure what is the optimal arrangement with suntechs given that 7 panel string risks over voltage on the Growatt and 2 strings of6 panels

Post a picture of the specification sticker on the back of each of the three different panels. Might be easier. From the information you did post, the max watt input for each Growatt 300 is 4500 watts, Max input voltage is 145V. I think max amps is 80? If I added correctly, if you use all the panels (if they are compatible) you will be over the max watt input. Also I wouldn't go right up to the max. I'm not a professional installer, but in the installs I've done I like keep the input at least 10-15% under the max just to be safe. Nothing scientific, just feel better not maxing it out. Also pay attention to wire them properly so you do not exceed the max voltage and amp input.

Last edited:
Also pay attention to wire them properly so you do not exceed the max voltage and amp input.
Right.
Plus you must calculate the lowest temperature VOC for the panels to actually see if the array outputs less than the VOC max of the growat

I have the data sheets of the panels as they are all used and the labels have faded pretty bad
Trina TSM PC 290
REC260PE
STP210-18

I also have the exact model of the Growatt inverter. It's a SPF 3000TL-LVM ES and has a max MPPT voltage of 250 volts.

As for over paneling the growatt, I don't plan to use all the panels. The intention is i do about a 6 kw array using all of the Trina and Rec panels while using the Suntech to fill out the rest. The leftover Suntechs is intended for building a new system.
Screenshot_20231207-120130-363.pngScreenshot_20231207-120106-771.pngScreenshot_20231207-120026-742.png

Back