diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel -> MPPT -> delta 2, possible?

eppich8479

I thinking about how to maximize the solar input on my delta 2. The delta 2 will accept up to 12-60V input. Most panels im looking at are 30-40v and putting them in series will fry the delta 2.

But what if i put this guy, victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70, infront of the delta 2. Basically take the battery out from the victron and send it to the delta 2. The victron can take 150v in the cold. Im thinking i could do 2s2p of large panels and the victron will always safely output 48v, collecting an excess of solar, but always keeping the delta safe.

Am i mistaken some how?
Is there a better way to do this?

I don't think this will work. The Victron does not output a steady voltage. It outputs a voltage based on the battery it connects to and its state of charge. Indeed it is recommended to always connect a battery first to a SCC then PV.

I think to do this you would have to add a DC-DC charger in between the MPPT and the delta 2. This would regulate the power and smooth out the bumps so you don't damage something internal and scrap the unit when you plug it in. Also a disconnect switch.

Something like this

I have this exact same problem. I’m thinking about the Anker 3800 and it only accepts 60 V. My panels are putting out 77 V. I’m trying to figure out how to decrease the voltage. I bought an unbranded version of the Oupes Mega 5 and had capacity and BMS problems with it immediately. I’m hearing that’s a problem with the Oupes Mega 5. But it accepts up to 150v. It worked well to run live loads from my solar panels but after the sun went down, the capacity was very unreliable. It would shut down when the power meter said it still had 26% to 37% left.

Delta2 input specification, 11 to 60 volts, 15 amps, 500 watts. The Victron MPPT needs to 'see' battery volts plus 5 volts to start up, so I don't think your plan would work. Also if by some chance it did, the power levels are to high for the Delta2.
The only option is to connect a panel array with a Voc maximum around 50 volts, ( to allow Voc increase with low temperature), and a maximum power within the design limit.

Delta2 input specification, 11 to 60 volts, 15 amps, 500 watts. The Victron MPPT needs to 'see' battery volts plus 5 volts to start up, so I don't think your plan would work. Also if by some chance it did, the power levels are to high for the Delta2.
The only option is to connect a panel array with a Voc maximum around 50 volts, ( to allow Voc increase with low temperature), and a maximum power within the design limit.
Why are you saying to high? The victron outputs 12v, 24v, or 48v. That's all in range. Excess watts dont matter. But maybe a 48v battery is part of the solution.

Perhaps you can get an inexpensive AIO that can operate without battery and simply charge your power pack from AC output when available. I really do not think trying to put a SCC ahead of the one provided in the Delta 2 will work out for you.

diy solar

diy solar
Back