diy solar

diy solar

Solar pergola -advice needed

ilia.vikhman

Hello,

I won in sustainability contest in my university, my idea is to build a solar pergola(student can sit there and combination of A+B pictures)
i know for sure that this pergola will have USB sockets(for charging) but i also wanted to add AC sockets for charging computers but if you take in to account the human responsibility(some one can harm it) and the environmental condition(rain..snow) it't really become dangers
of course i can plan all the IP67/8 enclosures and fusses and etc. , but is it really good idea ? from a safety point of view
what do you think ?

A)
1570634446690.png
B)
1570634482516.png

I think this could be done, and is a great idea. If you used a steel lockbox, like a job box, you could install weatherproof outlets on the outside and it would weatherproof and secure.

Attachments

• delta-jobsite-storage-637990-64_1000.jpg
    delta-jobsite-storage-637990-64_1000.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 6
NEC has requirements for outdoor electrical outlets put together by experts in the field. I can't see how you'd go wrong following them.

Sounds like a cool project. I'd install all the important bits behind a locked clear plexiglass panel, so students can see how it works and maybe get interested in solar. Then add a simple $50 12v security camera to deter tinkering. Maybe a couple more cams facing outward can be livestreamed on campus to further make use of the free generated power and get people talking about it. And yeah, follow NEC rules and use a covered outdoor 120v receptacle, should be no problem and safe. Keep the inverter small (<200w) so it doesn't drain too much battery overnight. Most laptops need under 40w. Just put a sign that says "laptop power only" so nobody tries pugging in a hairdryer or something. You might want an easily accessible circuit breaker on it in case that does happen anyway. Or, just put a timer on a bigger inverter so it only runs during daylight hours.

Sounds like a cool project. I'd install all the important bits behind a locked clear plexiglass panel, so students can see how it works and maybe get interested in solar. Then add a simple $50 12v security camera to deter tinkering. Maybe a couple more cams facing outward can be livestreamed on campus to further make use of the free generated power and get people talking about it. And yeah, follow NEC rules and use a covered outdoor 120v receptacle, should be no problem and safe. Keep the inverter small (<200w) so it doesn't drain too much battery overnight. Most laptops need under 40w. Just put a sign that says "laptop power only" so nobody tries pugging in a hairdryer or something. You might want an easily accessible circuit breaker on it in case that does happen anyway. Or, just put a timer on a bigger inverter so it only runs during daylight hours.
Great Ideas

You look to have thought this through to a level where we can mainly offer aesthetic suggestions. If you put the charge controller and inverter way up at the top under the peak of the pergola, that gets it out of the way of prying fingers. Then use GFCI outlets. My first thought about the foul weather condition is that when it s foul weather people won't be sitting out there in the rain or snow using it anyway. But, for the few brave souls who may, the ground fault outlets will cover that. The "daylight only" suggestion was golden. That would cut down on the boom box parties at 2am.

Thank you everyone for the encouraging messages :)
i know that the easiest will be just to put some USB sockets(low voltage easy design) but i really want to make somthing uniqe that why i think to "upgrade" the project and put high voltage stuff .
So thanks again !
BTW can i use this post for updating or some question during the process?

Thank you everyone for the encouraging messages :)
i know that the easiest will be just to put some USB sockets(low voltage easy design) but i really want to make somthing uniqe that why i think to "upgrade" the project and put high voltage stuff .
So thanks again !
BTW can i use this post for updating or some question during the process?
Absolutely please do!

Just put a sign that says "laptop power only" so nobody tries plugging in a hairdryer or something. You might want an easily accessible circuit breaker on it in case that does happen anyway.
Yeah..... students... you know they'll try anything. To that end, an auto resetting breaker. Don't know your actual draw, but something like this?

Today solar panels are available with an inverter embedded in the panel so 240 is coming out . Run it down the center pole inside like street lights. Idiots smash phones and street lights but its just a cost of providing for societies needs . The people who smash are a very small percentage and it usually is a youth smartarse thing that stops as they age.

I think thats a great idea .

[QUOTE="b.james, post: 6098, member:
it usually is a youth smartarse thing that stops as they age.
[/QUOTE]

But it's a university! It's all smartarse youth! ?

I think it's a great Idea just try and keep important stuff away from hands reach
yes sure! but on the other hand i really liked @SolarRat idea "I'd install all the important bits behind a locked clear plexiglass panel, so students can see how it works and maybe get interested in solar " this is also the aim of the project :)

Hi Guys ! i made some calculation yesterday(first time for an off-grid system) can you please advice that i'm on the right way :)

Isolation2,86 PSH
Consumption

Rated Power[W]AC/DCAmounthours per dayTotal consumption daily (wh/day)
Phone Charge (USB)2.5DC4330
PC charger65AC23390
Total Wh 420
days of autonomy3 [Days]
Total Wh needed from Battery1260 [Wh]
Total Ah needed from Battery(12V)105 [Ah]
PV array needed441 [W]
Inverter AC needed size156 [W]
Charge controller: =275*2/12=46 [A]
Final sizing(components)

1. PV panels =CS6K-275W(see attached Datasheet), 2 pc

2.Battery=12V, 90 Ah ,1 pc
3.Charge controller ,1 pc

4.Inverter, 1pc(little bit over sized ...i know)

Attachments

• CS6K275,280.pdf
    523.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
One thing to consider, the AC inverter won't be 100% efficient and it will have idle draw even when there isn't anything pulling power from it (you can get inverters that shutdown when idle and wake up when needed). Work with say 85% efficiency for watts in vs watts out and 10 watts/hr idle since it's a small inverter.

I'm sure someone will pipe up if I've made any errors in that. Nice project.

Ahah...it's a Victron inverter. You can set them to idle off so forget that 10 watts stuff if you enable that feature.

datasheet for the inverter: https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...hoenix-Inverter-VE.Direct-250VA-1200VA-EN.pdf

- Minimum auto turn off threshold on it's AC output, 15 watts. If the USB power outlets aren't run from the inverter this would sense a laptop being connected nicely.
- Maximum efficiency is 90%, that's usually full load so 85% is a good guess.
- Idle draw when in auto off mode is 1 watt.

Last edited:
Back