diy solar

diy solar

Solar string wiring question

cudaman68

In the planning process and what to make sure I'm on the right track with setting up my panels and connecting them to the Inverter.
I have Canadian Solar CS6R-390MS-HL 390W panels on the way and a EG4 18KPV Hybrid Inverter.
The specs on the panels are
Canadian Solar CS6R-390MS-HL 390W
Opt. Operating Voltage (Vmp) 30.4 V
Opt. Operating Current (Imp) 12.84 A
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) 36.4 V
Short Circuit Current (Isc) 13.70 A
The inverter has 3 MPPTs
PV Input Data Number of MPPTs 3
Inputs per MPPT 2/1/1
Max. Usable Input Current 25/15/15A
Max. Short Circuit Input Current 31/19/19A
DC Input Voltage Range 100–600 VDC

My plans are to run 3 strings of 10 panels each string would be 364 V
If I'm not mistaken I would need to run 3 separate lines from each panel string to the inverter? Or could I combine two of them and still be within the spec of the first MPPT on the 18K and only have to run two sets of wire into the inverter?

You would be a little over the 25A limit on MPPT1 with two strings in parallel. You're under the 31A Isc limit, so you're good. You might lose a tiny bit of power in perfect peak production conditions, but that's rare.

10S1P on MPPT1
10S on MPPT2
nothing on MPPT3

Should work fine.

How cold does it get where you are? If it never gets below freezing, you could go 15S.

In Ohio so we get below 0F in the winter at times
Climate of Ohio. Temperatures in Ohio are similar to those across the north-central and eastern United States, with summer highs seldom reaching 100 °F (38 °C) and winter lows rarely dropping below −20 °F (−29 °C).

Climate of Ohio. Temperatures in Ohio are similar to those across the north-central and eastern United States, with summer highs seldom reaching 100 °F (38 °C) and winter lows rarely dropping below −20 °F (−29 °C).

Brrrr...

stick with 10S to each mppt or 10S2P to mppt1 and 10S to Mppt2

I've seen -23 & -26 2 times in the last 25 years. It was bright sunshine both mornings. We're 30 miles north of Columbus Ohio.

Back