diy solar

diy solar

Solar swing gate voltage drop

carlosspicyweiner

-Installing 24v auto swing gates 12m away (call it 25m circuit) from 12v solar setup in shed.

-Wanting to make it work running 6awg wire from the shed through my Victron 12/24 dc/dc (ouch $$)

-Voltage drop still seems to be around 3.5-4.5% with distance and branching, and I was wondering if it would be as simple as adjusting output voltage to 30v to compensate (1% gain)

Could it be as easy as that or am I missing something with the equipment? Yes I know that is a horrendous cable run, but kind of want to make it work with this gear, and can't seem to find another solution for the voltage drop without moving the setup closer to the gate.
any thoughts?

If the gate opens why do you care about voltage drop?

The other option is buy an even higher boost converter to boost it up to a higher voltage, and then buck converter at the other end. Cheap AF on Amazon, but note that some buck converters will fail and pass through input voltage. Worth it? 😂

(isolated buck topology will be resilient to that failure mode)

Adjusting output voltage is good if the current is predictable and the other end is tolerant of the boosted voltage.

Another option to try to save money is to look into really large conductors. You can get like 3x the wire for same cost if you go to Aluminum vs copper. You need to buy dual rated splices.

Back