diy solar

diy solar

Looking to expand Solar

TransAmDan

I curently have a 4kw system, (6 panels south eash, 10 panels south west) no battery storage. Tied into the grid, set up around 9 years ago, with a FITin tarrif, returning around £700 a year.

I'm looking to make a larger system on top of the garage roof (7mx7m approx), build a shed for more panel area(7x6.5m approx). Adding around 16kw of panels. Not tieing it into the grid, as any touching of the original system invalidated the current FIT payments.

Why the need for so much power? When we are only consuming around 10kh per day on average(working from home, computers etc). I have done crypto mining in the past and looking for so a little more in the future, it uses quite a bit of electric, I find it fun. I'm likely to consume around 3.5kw 24 hours a day. Now the winter there is nothing I can do to generate enough electric to run it, so can either turn it off or pay the bill. However in the summer I have made 26kwh in a day on the 4kw system, so with a system 5 times larger I should be over 100kwh. (84kwh required to run 3.5k for 24hours) Not all days will be sunny. I do have logs of power generated over a whole year. Looks by expanding to 20kw, and with batteried I can run for over 50% of the hours over the year.

This plans will evolve this year, I need to lay the concrete base for the shed and build the shed, his will give me the roofing area for more panels. Looks like I have room for 34 panels. I'll get some draing together on this. All sketched up in 3D.

Thinking of 3 intervers to go in the shed along with 15 x 5.2kwh batteries. I see some inverters can take in mains, and output like a UPS type output. My plan would be to spply power while batteries have charge perhaps 10%, once batteries low it will switch in the mains.

However with 3 inverters, is it possible to get thme to charge batteries if enough solar present, switching to mains once batteries are low? Not suppliying any power to the grid.
Solar_Plans.jpg

'm sure I'll need to but various cables and switches, which I'll need to cost into this idea. A lot I could wire myself, and call someone in to certify it. I would with Electrinics alot and some high current DC in the past for work.

However with 3 inverters, is it possible to get thme to charge batteries if enough solar present, switching to mains once batteries are low? Not suppliying any power to the grid.
Most AIOs are configurable as to how they use / charge with solar and grid.

With good sun and correct numbers of panels that is what the AOIs do: charge batteries, manage power.

Thanks for the reply. This is useful to know. I'm no chosen a manufctuers of inverters yet. I dont necessarly need to go cheapest, if one last's longer or has more features I'm happy to pay more. I'm likely to need 3 inverters for these plans.. So if they are happy to parrallel up their AC outputs this would be great. I have experience in DC power supplies, some dont like you to paralell up the outputs for current sharing.

Just been doing a 3D sketch of the panels. I'll probably have to generate something like this to let the council know. The 16 panels on the house are 325w panels these are around 9 years old, any not seen must of a power drop over the years.
The 15 panels on the garage are JA460W
9 panels on the new shed are also JA460W and the 10 in portait are JA545's
Really chosen to maximize solar area, so chose different sizes. Total of 16490w
1703710526309.png

As you can see from the previous install not all panels are facing the prime direction. 10 panels are facing pretty much west so catching the sun as it went down. I would see a peek of energy around 3pm, most I have seen in a day was 26kwh generation.

The new panels are more of an optimium direction, they are facing the sun at around 11.00am, so pretty much south facing.

I'm sure I'm going to learn lots reading through others peoples posts. The previous solar install was done by a company. I'm looking to do the most I can myself.

Battery storage I would prefer rack mountable stackable type, as I wont have enough wall space to hang batteries on the wall.

Been looking at Pylontec or Sunsynk, https://www.itstechnologies.shop/co...tery-storage/products/sunsynk-battery-5-12kwh

Trying to find info in the datasheet on the two highlightes lines. If you can only have 5 batteries per inverter, how can you connect 16?
I tihnk 5 per invetters is enough for me, 3 inverters, 15 batteries in total.
1703713585132.png

Any advantage of the battery make being the same make as the inverter? I guess protocols are a standard? so a Pylontec would work with Sunsynk for example?

Battery storage I would prefer rack mountable stackable type, as I wont have enough wall space to hang batteries on the wall.

Been looking at Pylontec or Sunsynk, https://www.itstechnologies.shop/co...tery-storage/products/sunsynk-battery-5-12kwh

Trying to find info in the datasheet on the two highlightes lines. If you can only have 5 batteries per inverter, how can you connect 16?
I tihnk 5 per invetters is enough for me, 3 inverters, 15 batteries in total.
View attachment 185359

Any advantage of the battery make being the same make as the inverter? I guess protocols are a standard? so a Pylontec would work with Sunsynk for example?
I imagine it’s because of the cables’ gauge that they sell with those batteries. So using those cables to parallel batteries, they are probably advising a maximum of five batteries to the bus bar. From there you could connect the inverters to all the batteries in the banks. (With larger gauge cables, of course)

Battery to Battery Cable Pack Short for Sunsynk CATL 5.12kw​

Back