diy solar

diy solar

Solar system(s) to air-condition 9-classroom school

Norwasian

I'm contemplating my next solar project--and it's far larger than my first one. I'm looking at sizing a system, or multiple parallel systems, to meet the needs of a planned air-conditioning installation at a small school. Each of the nine classrooms measures roughly 9 x 8 meters in size and can accommodate about 40 students; and the school is apparently the only one in the district still lacking air-conditioning--a cause of complaints from the constituents. But the electrical demands to support A/C are such as to encourage looking toward solar assistance, and, particularly as the leaky roof is already needing to be replaced, the new roof can easily be designed for an ideal south-facing slope and with built-in support for solar panels (steel support structure with metal roofing). The roof should have ample space for 150+ solar panels (about 28 x 25 meters), so room for paneling is not a problem.

The biggest challenge, to my mind, is this: How to organize the electrical circuitry and inverter(s)? Should I plan for one moderate-sized inverter plus a string of panels for each classroom? Or is it more economical and/or a superior design to go with one massive inverter (3-phase?) for the whole building?

A lesser challenge is this: With panels being the cheapest (in my experience to date) component of a solar system, and with A/C need being at its peak when the sun is most intense, could this system be virtually battery-less? How much battery would be needed for the peripherals like lights, etc.? (Since, while installing this much of a system, one might as well support all the electrical needs, right?)

To my present viewpoint, multiple, separate systems makes the most sense. This would mean that a failure of one component would not bring the entire building to a halt. It would also mean each system was more manageable, and parts could more easily be found. Naturally, I'm considering a "standard" 48-volt setup. I expect that a system designed to be all-in-one for the whole building would have to be an HV setup, which is something I know next to nothing about yet, and for which I may find equipment nearly impossible to obtain in my locality. But I'm open to learning and happy for suggestions.

Lets take a step by step engineering approach:
1) 9 x 8 = 72 sq m = 775 sq ft of class room with up to 40 students. Estimate 2 tons for the space & 1 ton for the human heat load = 3 Tons of cooling per class room.
2) Consider a DC or hybrid AC/DC Air Conditioner. Solar is too unstable to provide reliable, consistent power. Batteries are going to be necessary if only minimal to buffer immediate fluctuations but if the budget can support it at least an hour or more of battery only run time.
3) Using manufacturer datasheets of possible products available in the region determine the electrical requirements.
4) Size the solar system based on #3 and a solar estimator based on your geographic region, azimuth and tilt.
5) Once the physical size (dimensions) of the solar array is determined, you can then decide the optimal roof design and placement of panels.
6) Reconsider the choice of DC, Hybrid AC-DC or conventional AC air conditioning. Are there any other items that you may wish to power with a 3 phase AC inverter. Also there are probably more product air conditioning choices available in straight AC input.

If you were in the USA I'd almost think (without doing much math in my head, admittedly) that the Sig Solar hybrid minisplits would be about perfect for that sort of thing.

diy solar

diy solar
Back