diy solar

diy solar

Solar Tax Credit : After install tree trimming

Stephen InGeorgia

Has anybody claimed the cost of tree trimming after a solar install?

I installed my ground mount system in 2018 and since then the pine trees have grown taller. They are in a line about 120' from my array. It is impacting my winter generation so I think this would fall under site preperations but this is years after the initial install. Has anybody claimed the cost of tree trimming or system maintenance?

Uh....not likely covered. But, if you had your installer originally include the cost of tree trimming in his install quote, then I guess you would not have had any issue claiming a credit for that - as long as the trimming was not listed as a separate item on the invoice. And no system maintenance I think would be covered either, but... maybe additional system capacity. This year, I added another array, charge controller, batteries and associated wiring and hardware to my original solar system that I installed 11 years ago. I'll be filing for that additional system tax credit this year.

Read the IRS publication. See a tax professional.

You can claim write anything you want on the form. This only becomes an issue during an audit.

For my situation reading the guidance, I am unclear about what this publication says about getting a roof done prior to a solar install. I will go to the tax professional for that.

Back