diy solar

diy solar

Solar wiring size and branch connector help.

WillAK

I'm buying 4x 550w solar panels this week and I need some help figuring out the wiring size I should use and also which branch connectors would be best for them.

I can only wire the panels in parallel due to some shading, so it would be the (Vmp) 41.96V x (Imp) 13.11A = 52.44A

Do I need to get 8AWG wires? And if so where can I find 8AWG branch connectors? The wiring is maximum 6ft to CC and then 12ft to my 24v batteries.

I currently have 10AWG wires and 12AWG branch connectors, could I use those for winter at least considering I can only put in 40a.

I have to point out that i'm planning on running it through my 100/40a CC for the winter, then buying a victron 150/85 come spring. So i'm not expecting much more than the 960w max.

Thanks everyone.

Another thing ive noticed with the full solar 'kits' is they have two wire sizes.

One is 7AWG and the other is 10AWG.

Which wires are used where? Is the 10awg used to the CC and then the 6awg from the CC to the batteries?

Another thing ive noticed with the full solar 'kits' is they have two wire sizes.

One is 7AWG and the other is 10AWG.

Which wires are used where? Is the 10awg used to the CC and then the 6awg from the CC to the batteries?
10 gauge is from controller to battery unless it is a long run and then 8 gauge is recommended.

then buying a victron 150/85 come spring. So i'm not expecting much more than the 960w max.

I can only wire the panels in parallel due to some shading, so it would be the (Vmp) 41.96V x (Imp) 13.11A = 52.44A

Is your MPPT capable of taking 52amps solar input , it's worth double checking

These are rated for 1500 volt 50 amp parallel:

PAEKQ 4 to 1 Solar Panel Connectors

If the kit comes with 7 gauge that will work for parallel and you are only running it 6 feet. 8 gauge would probably be sufficient at that distance. 10 gauge is light for that application but if it is temporary over winter it would work.

If your MPPT controller is rated for 40 Amps then that is all you will get out of it no matter how many amps you put in.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be comfortable running 50a through an MC4 connector. I would recommend a permanent connection. (Splice or bus bar)

Edit: don't forget that each panel will require a fuse.

Back