diy solar

diy solar

4-1 T-Branch Connector Question

Jarin

I am basing my build off of Wills DIY 400w 12v solar package W/ alternator charging. The problem is the charge controller has a max open circuit voltage of 25V so the panels have to be in parallel. The issue I'm having is that I've read MC4 connectors have a max current rating of 20A but the 4-1 branch connector is rated to 30A? Will stated in his guide the connection between the branch adapter and solar charge controller should not have a mc4. Splice in a 8 or 10 gauge wire to connect them instead

Question one: How would I go about splicing into the branch connector? I'll admit I've never used one so it may be as easy as twisting off and removing the MC4 connector and splicing two wires. Does anyone have experience?

Second question: my original plan was to have 28.48Amps going through the branch connector but realize that is really close to the 30A max rated current for the T-Branch connector. should I back down to 23A to be safe? (first time solar builder)

Thank you for your time

-Panel info
Two 200W panels
Vmp 18.6V
Imp 10.76A
Voc 21.8
ISC 11.47
-If possible also add
Two 50W panels
Vmp 19.06V
Imp 2.63A
Voc 21.82V
Isc 2.77A

Panel choices were picked based off of available roof space on camper van

I may have found a solution.
BougeRv makes a 6-1 branch connector and they use 8awg wire. I can easily snip off the MC4 connector and splice a 10ft 8awg wire to drop into the van and into the MPPT.
Does anyone see any problems with this?

Back