diy solar

diy solar

anyone fancy doing there good deed for today?

hrchonda

Hi Guys

iv a victron 100/50 MPPT on a 12V Battery. currently with 6 renogy 100 watt panels (3S2P). using victrons calculator its perfectly fine to go 3S3P on my controller. 29% over paneling using 3 more of the panels i currently have. its Within voltage limit on cold days and current short circuit.

my question :)

is there a portable folding type solar panel i could simply plug in and out of my system? my current 3S2P setup is fixed on my vans roof and theres no more room. hoping for a portable panel i could just plug in that would work well with what i have and make it a 3S3P as iv a 3rd branch connector sitting there currently unused.

RENOGY 100W PANEL SPECS

Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 20.4V
Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 24.3V
Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 4.91A
Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 5.21A
Maximum Series Fuse Rating: 15A

many thanks i cannot get my head around this

What can't you get your head around? When combining panels in parallel they should have a similar voltage. If your existing strings are 3 x 20.4Vmp then your new one should be close to 61.2Vmp. Higher would be better than lower, as lower would reduce the output of your roof mounted panels.

3 matching 100w panels, a couple of piano hinges, some PVC pipes and fittings. Then you will have a folding, portable, some what heavy, panel that exactly matches your existing panels.
It all depends on your version of portable. Moving this everyday would be a PIA, moving it every couple of weeks no problem. Lots of examples on YouTube

Assuming you are considering one of the renogy solar suitcases?
You can do that, but my recommendation would be to keep them on their own charge controller. However the charge controller they come with from renogy is junk... Preferably get another victron (like the 75/15) with the same battery voltage settings. This would basically be parallel to your other charge controller and charge the batteries directly.

You dont want to introduce a different voltage string to the same charge controller.

This is a common scenario for RVs as it lets you park in the shade and set panels out in the sun! Or if all the panels are in sun, both charge controllers are doing their part to achieve the same voltage/charge algorithm for the battery charge settings.

Back