diy solar

diy solar

SolArk 12K paired with SOK 48V batteries - power up/down scrambles settings

bgking78

My 12K has been running in a grid-tied hybrid system connected to 2- 48V SOK batteries (200AH total) for overnight and backup operation since November of last year and everything has been great.

At the beginning of July I found the Sol Ark had tripped and showed an Arc Fault error as the culprit. Instead of clearing the arc fault like I should have in the user interface, I powered the Sol Ark down and checked everything in the DC side of the system. Finding no problems, I powered the Sol Ark up using the Sol Ark instructions from the manual. After power up, my settings in the 12K were scrambled. It now said my battery bank had grown to over 14,000 AH and my grid charge and time of use settings were numbers that don't even exist - things like 11,000% SOC. There were many more settings that were ridiculous values, but those were the big ones.

I called Sol Ark and they told me that I cannot run communication to the SOK batteries (sounds similar to what they are saying about the EG4 batteries now), but I told the tech that everything had been fine until this arc fault error. He suggested a factory reset, I did it, and then reprogrammed everything and went on with my day. I assumed the setting issue was because of the arc fault error having not been cleared before powering down.

Last week I needed to turn off the Sol Ark because I was making some electrical upgrades on the grid side of things, so I followed the Sol Ark instructions on powering down. I completed the work in about 2 hours and powered the Sol Ark up following the instructions and my settings were all scrambled once again. Similar numbers, my battery bank was now 11,000 AH, time of use values all scrambled, etc. I did a factory reset on the 12K and reprogrammed everything again.

I'm wondering if others have found anything like this?

I'm also wondering if others have SOK batteries connected via communication and have successfully power cycled the Sol Ark without having to perform a reprogramming session? I'm just hoping to find out how to turn on/off this inverter properly because reprogramming each time is not a viable option.

Last edited:
Any thoughts @HighTechLab? Waiting to do some first maintenance on my new 15K until we make sure this is an isolated issue. Thanks!

Buehler?....Feris Beuhler? :)

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back