diy solar

diy solar

Sol Ark 12k + Four Simpliphi 48v 3.8 Battery = battery capacity decreased significantly

seanws66

Aloha!
I'm currently running a hybrid system including the Sol-Ark 12k with battery storage using 4 simpliphi 3.8 batteries (48v). Prior to August 2023, I noticed that my battery system would charge to 100% SOC (~54v) after about 11.5 kwh. With my four batteries, I'm assuming the capacity should be able to hold just over 15kwh total. I set my TOU to stop discharging around 30% (~50v) and the Sol Ark system would discharge roughly 10.8kwh during the evening hours. I adjusted the battery settings on the Sol-Ark according to the Simpliphi Manual to have a 300 Ah capacity as well (75 Ah per battery). The Sol-Ark indicated a "corrected capacity" of 306 Ah which made sense.

After Sep 2023, I noticed the battery has begun to degrade in terms of total charge, total discharge, Ah capacity, etc. Not and days, I'm getting a "corrected capacity" from the Sol Ark system saying 210 Ah. After a full day of charging, I'm reaching 100% SOC after only 5.3 kwh and it'll discharge to 30% after 4.8 kwh. I'm obviously operating at a handicap here and not getting the full potential of my system. I've talked to Sol Ark and they said the settings are all correct according to the manual and that its software is up-to-date. They are also saying that it could well be a battery(ies) issue. After talking to Simpliphi (Briggs and Stratton), they are adamant that its not the batteries. I've run the instructed tests from Simpliphi, checked the voltage of each battery individually, and its hard to tell. I also flipped the switch on the top of the batteries themselves and allowed 1 battery to be operational at a time for four separate days to see what the max charge and discharge kwh's are. Seems like each battery is max charging at about 1.8 kwh each and discharging about 1.4 kwh when operating individually.

Briggs and Stratton are sort of giving me the run arounds telling me to change SOC to read Voltage and adjust based on voltage readings. I'm still being handicapped. Has anybody else ran into the same issue and if so, what have you done to correct the issue or not correct the issue and just have the batteries replaced under warranty? I had my system installed back in 2021 so they should be covered.

Aloha!
I'm currently running a hybrid system including the Sol-Ark 12k with battery storage using 4 simpliphi 3.8 batteries (48v). Prior to August 2023, I noticed that my battery system would charge to 100% SOC (~54v) after about 11.5 kwh. With my four batteries, I'm assuming the capacity should be able to hold just over 15kwh total. I set my TOU to stop discharging around 30% (~50v) and the Sol Ark system would discharge roughly 10.8kwh during the evening hours. I adjusted the battery settings on the Sol-Ark according to the Simpliphi Manual to have a 300 Ah capacity as well (75 Ah per battery). The Sol-Ark indicated a "corrected capacity" of 306 Ah which made sense.

After Sep 2023, I noticed the battery has begun to degrade in terms of total charge, total discharge, Ah capacity, etc. Not and days, I'm getting a "corrected capacity" from the Sol Ark system saying 210 Ah. After a full day of charging, I'm reaching 100% SOC after only 5.3 kwh and it'll discharge to 30% after 4.8 kwh. I'm obviously operating at a handicap here and not getting the full potential of my system. I've talked to Sol Ark and they said the settings are all correct according to the manual and that its software is up-to-date. They are also saying that it could well be a battery(ies) issue. After talking to Simpliphi (Briggs and Stratton), they are adamant that its not the batteries. I've run the instructed tests from Simpliphi, checked the voltage of each battery individually, and its hard to tell. I also flipped the switch on the top of the batteries themselves and allowed 1 battery to be operational at a time for four separate days to see what the max charge and discharge kwh's are. Seems like each battery is max charging at about 1.8 kwh each and discharging about 1.4 kwh when operating individually.

Briggs and Stratton are sort of giving me the run arounds telling me to change SOC to read Voltage and adjust based on voltage readings. I'm still being handicapped. Has anybody else ran into the same issue and if so, what have you done to correct the issue or not correct the issue and just have the batteries replaced under warranty? I had my system installed back in 2021 so they should be covered.
Not sure if this is your issue but Sol-ark or most inverters do a terrible job of calculating SOC.

The inverter might think they are 100% but are not.
If you change to voltage control you will have a better control scheme IMHO.

The SolArk SOC is just a guess.

I have been running my 12K for almost two years. For a while the SOC seemed to be pretty accurate, but no more. I use voltage and am happy with that.

The SOC can be wildly inaccurate.

Aloha!
I'm currently running a hybrid system including the Sol-Ark 12k with battery storage using 4 simpliphi 3.8 batteries (48v). Prior to August 2023, I noticed that my battery system would charge to 100% SOC (~54v) after about 11.5 kwh.
What voltage are you charging at? The manual says 56.0v

What voltage are you charging at? The manual says 56.0v
I used to have it set at 56V absorb, but the tech guy told me to bring it down to 54.4v. Should I just leave it at 56v absorb? I threw some pics in to show my settings. I'm open to any suggestions.Screenshot_20240224_040627_PV Pro.jpgScreenshot_20240224_040636_PV Pro.jpgScreenshot_20240224_040648_PV Pro.jpg

Back