diy solar

diy solar

Best Sol-Ark 15 Battery?

Not the certs, but here's a marketing brochure for V5 UL9540

Attachments

• Pytes Brochure.pdf
    556.3 KB · Views: 10
Thanks, I might try that until the UL docs are available. As I mentioned, I have waited a year since installing my SolArk so I can get the benefit of the latest. My DIY batteries are working fine but eventually I want my system to be conforming long term.
Here's the UL9540 certificate for the V5º plus Sol-Ark 8k, 12k, or 15k (named Pi S8K, Pi S12K, and Pi S15K, respectively), along with the Luxpower LXP-LB-US 8K, LXP-LB-US 10K, or LXP-LB-US 12K (named Pi L8K, Pi L10K, and Pi L12K, respectively).

Attachments

• UL 9540.pdf
    867.4 KB · Views: 13
Here's the UL9540 certificate for the V5º plus Sol-Ark 8k, 12k, or 15k (named Pi S8K, Pi S12K, and Pi S15K, respectively),
Thanks, I sent that to the guy preparing my building permit. Hopefully he can make that fly without specific model numbers. The one I sent him earlieer referred to the Forest RB enclosure and the E-Box 48100R batteries. I do not know how picky my County building inspector will be.

Thanks, I sent that to the guy preparing my building permit. Hopefully he can make that fly without specific model numbers. The one I sent him earlieer referred to the Forest RB enclosure and the E-Box 48100R batteries. I do not know how picky my County building inspector will be.
If you want the full details with model numbers, I recommend emailing Pytes; they've been very responsive for me in the past. I emailed pytesusa@pytesgroup.com and they sent me the UL9540 and UL9540A full reports for the V5º, including model numbers and photos.

I know physics works in parallel. I don't see a need for more complexity.
What about to allow brain dead capacity expansion onto an existing system?

IE, imagine if the fancy DC battery chassis makes it as problem free as slapping on another fully managed AC battery.

It balances the voltage for you automatically without causing an explosion. And makes you a cappuccino

Hey folks, new to the forums but long time Will Prowse watcher. I've decided to take the plunge and start designing a whole home backup system. I'm really liking the Sol-Ark 15 for it's quality, ease of use, and customer support.

I'm wondering what people are running as batteries for the Sol-Ark 15? Is there a consensus of which is most plug and play / reliable? I definitely want comms between the battery and the Sol-Ark. LiFePO4 for safety. Would love something fairly modular to expand over time. I will say the EG4 PowerPro form factor is very attractive, but its 300lbs!

Appreciate any and all insight. Thanks!
I went for the EG4 PowerPro. If you run two together in parallel then run double cables to the battery inputs on the Sol-Ark 15 you can maximize the 275 amp capability of the Sol-Ark. They are heavy but can be mounted outside and are LiPo4 so some ease of mind with regards to 100%-0% charge. Now, having said all that, they are still in the boxes that came for Signature Solar cuz I threw out my back and I'm still sorting out how I'm going to hoist them onto the wall!

I finally got a quote for batteries. I called a few local electricians that didn't want the job, but referred me to an installer for Briggs and Stratton. Even though their battery offering is SimpliPhi, they were willing to quote me Pytes. I asked for V5, but they quoted E-Box, probably because that's what is available from their distributor. By example, Greentech has E-Box and not V5. With the E-Box, I'll need 5 batteries to achieve the full 12 KW capability of the 15K. I want a slim profile, so I had them quote the indoor box that holds 6 batteries and includes bus bars and cables.

Edit: Installer made a mistake. He will requote with 4 Pytes V5 batteries with V-Box-OC.

Attachments

• PYTES Energy Forest RB Datasheet.pdf
    456.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I contacted a local solar company to ask about batteries. He threw me a ball park number of $20,000 for a 19.2 KWH HomeGrid. I think his number was pay back for not hiring him to install my Sol-Ark system last year.
If you already have a sol-ark installed, it is not hard to add batteries yourself. 20kWh is about $10,000 - 4 rack batteries and a cabinet with cabling.

If you already have a sol-ark installed, it is not hard to add batteries yourself. 20kWh is about $10,000 - 4 rack batteries and a cabinet with cabling.
I was going to go that route, but found out the AHJ hates solar. I doubt I could get a permit to self install. The fellow that quoted me did a site visit today. It's up to him to convince the AHJ that my garage is suitable and I don't need a separate fireproof room.

I finally got a quote for batteries. I called a few local electricians that didn't want the job, but referred me to an installer for Briggs and Stratton. Even though their battery offering is SimpliPhi, they were willing to quote me Pytes. I asked for V5, but they quoted E-Box, probably because that's what is available from their distributor. By example, Greentech has E-Box and not V5. With the E-Box, I'll need 5 batteries to achieve the full 12 KW capability of the 15K. I want a slim profile, so I had them quote the indoor box that holds 6 batteries and includes bus bars and cables.
I have the 48100r pytes x6 in a forest RB box. It does come with the cables for the batteries to the bus bar, but not to the inverter. Got that from battery cables usa. I got the 6 batteries and cabinet drop shipped from pytes through a distributor, but it doesn't even come with info on how to hook up the batteries. Seems like it would be simple, but it took 3 attempts to diagram it out.

They wire up in 3 sets of 2 if you get all 6 from factory. The one thing I didn't love about it is that the one set of batteries has a bit longer cables than the other two.

If you do end up with that setup, and get stuck on the wiring, I'll get some pictures. I would have preferred to wire each battery to the bus bar individually with it's own set of same length cables. Doesn't seem to be an issue so far though.

I was going to go that route, but found out the AHJ hates solar. I doubt I could get a permit to self install. The fellow that quoted me did a site visit today. It's up to him to convince the AHJ that my garage is suitable and I don't need a separate fireproof room.
Then you really need to be careful about UL 9540. No single rack can exceed 20kWh, and 3 ft separation between racks. No more than 40kWh in any one location. Location being: 1) Inside house; 2) Garage; 3) outside house.

A rack battery is typically 5.1kWh, so 4 batteries is 20.4kWh, which exceeds 20kWh. So you are limited to 3 rack batteries per rack.

Then you really need to be careful about UL 9540. No single rack can exceed 20kWh, and 3 ft separation between racks. No more than 40kWh in any one location. Location being: 1) Inside house; 2) Garage; 3) outside house.

A rack battery is typically 5.1kWh, so 4 batteries is 20.4kWh, which exceeds 20kWh. So you are limited to 3 rack batteries per rack.
20.4 is not 20.0, but it is 20. I know my AHJ hates solar, but he hates it so much that he doesn't even do a proper inspection. For the inverter and PV, he only looked at the disconnect and RSD switch.

I theorize this is why pylontech and others run 15s configs, so they are 4.8kWh per pack, and can get 4 in a group.

Pytes doesn't seem to be concerned with 20.4 KWH.

Attachments

• Pytes Brochure.pdf
    556.3 KB · Views: 8
Back