diy solar

diy solar

Best Sol-Ark 15 Battery?

No love for the EG4 PowerPro?
I'll give it some love. Just installed one of two - next one will go up this week. Very straight forward with the SolArk 15. Also can be mounted outside. It is heavy but the total cost is comparable to building your own rack mounted once you add in cabling etc. Easy comms with Sol-Ark (although it is not officially listed on the Sol-Ark battery list - Sol-Ark claims to be battery agnostic and it worked on first hook-up)

Attachments

• 8D466E0A-2950-475E-AD8F-E6F879077D6C.jpeg
    8D466E0A-2950-475E-AD8F-E6F879077D6C.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 16
  • B5015322-237C-4161-B30F-16468C26D024.jpeg
    B5015322-237C-4161-B30F-16468C26D024.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 16
  • D4AAD2BF-1C13-473D-8FB2-CDE4C632EE12.jpeg
    D4AAD2BF-1C13-473D-8FB2-CDE4C632EE12.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 16
No battery wires? This is the new "wireless" version?

The battery wires coming out the top didn't seem like a good idea for weather resistance.

Your pictures look like you hunted it down, hung it to butcher it, and mounted it on the wall.

Mike C.
LOL - You haven't heard of the invisible 2/0 cables? Pic taken before final completion. The EG4 Power Pro came with some cables but they were too short - designed to work with their EG4 18 Inverter mounted right above it. I live in the woods - we butcher whatever walks through that looks tasty :). I agree that the wires coming out of the top don't sound like the greatest idea. It is, supposedly, outdoor rated and they are amphenol connectors at the battery. Nonetheless Ill probably build a little shed roof over it and/or add a raceway.

I currently debating batteries to pair with my upcoming Sol-Ark 15k. As much as I like the Pytes stuff, I'm struggling with the fact that the PowerPro seems to be almost double the energy density (volume, not weight) of the various Pytes enclosures.
One thing to consider is that Sol-Ark doesn't currently support closed loop communication with the EG-4 PowerPro. I learned that a bit late as they advertise the Sol-Ark 15 Limitless as "battery agnostic". I initially programmed it to "BMS Lithium" code 00 on the Sol-Ark and it seemed fine, but when I emailed Sol-Ark they said it wasn't approved and to un-select Lithium and just use Batt %.

One thing to consider is that Sol-Ark doesn't currently support closed loop communication with the EG-4 PowerPro. I learned that a bit late as they advertise the Sol-Ark 15 Limitless as "battery agnostic". I initially programmed it to "BMS Lithium" code 00 on the Sol-Ark and it seemed fine, but when I emailed Sol-Ark they said it wasn't approved and to un-select Lithium and just use Batt %.
A number of people have reported unpredictable behavior using % without comms. Without comms you may need to use V and not %. YMMV.

Last edited:
I recently installed a 15k and went with 6x Ruixu batteries. Comms worked right out of the box. Haven't had any issues so far.
The Ruixu rack is very nice, would definitely recommend.
I've been curious about the Ruixu batteries and the 15k as far as coms... you're having no issues at all? Are you off grid or still tied to the grid? If you are tied to the grid are you selling back excess energy when available?

I've been curious about the Ruixu batteries and the 15k as far as coms... you're having no issues at all? Are you off grid or still tied to the grid? If you are tied to the grid are you selling back excess energy when available?
No issues at all. Have been running for about 3 months now.
Grid tied, but not selling excess.

I'm using my excess to mine crypto.

My system consists of two Sol-Ark 15ks in parallel, with 3 EG4 Power Pro's, and 6 EG4 LLV2's shared to both inverters. So far everything is working great. Had to do about 3-4 deep cycles (80% depth of discharge minimum) to calibrate the BMS between all batteries

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 1.40.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 1.40.50 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
A number of people of reported unpredictable behavior using % without comms. Without comms you may need to use V and not %. YMMV.
@muaddib721 Nice install. Did you use the raceways EG4 sells and then custom run the cables over to the Sol-Ark 15? What battery setting did you use on the Sol-Ark? @Oldphile are you suggesting using the comms and the "Batt Lithium" option on the Sol-Ark. When I first set it up I did that and "battery type". 00. (Sol-Ark has published a list of their tested batteries and has a bunch of info but sadly doesn't have EG4)

Attachments

• Battery-Communications-Integration-Guide-V3.1.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
@muaddib721 Nice install. Did you use the raceways EG4 sells and then custom run the cables over to the Sol-Ark 15? What battery setting did you use on the Sol-Ark? @Oldphile are you suggesting using the comms and the "Batt Lithium" option on the Sol-Ark. When I first set it up I did that and "battery type". 00. (Sol-Ark has published a list of their tested batteries and has a bunch of info but sadly doesn't have EG4)
Not suggesting that you use comms. I'm suggesting that you use voltage and not %.

Battery type is 00... and yes as you can see in the pic i have the EG4 conduit boxes on top of each battery and then I ran connections to a main bus bar in the wiring trough below the two sol-arks, and then connected the main battery bus bar to the two sol-arks. I've been tracking deep cycle runs with all my batteries and here is the second and third cycle data. Also cycle 4 so far

Attachments

• cycle 2.png
    cycle 2.png
    469.8 KB · Views: 4
  • cycle 3.png
    cycle 3.png
    565.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Cycle 4 so far.png
    Cycle 4 so far.png
    345.8 KB · Views: 4
Battery type is 00... and yes as you can see in the pic i have the EG4 conduit boxes on top of each battery and then I ran connections to a main bus bar in the wiring trough below the two sol-arks, and then connected the main battery bus bar to the two sol-arks. I've been tracking deep cycle runs with all my batteries and here is the second and third cycle data. Also cycle 4 so far
Wow, nice data. Thanks for posting.

FYI I am using 8 Pytes batteries and cabinets from stackrackbattery.com

Both batteries and cabinets meet all UL codes and are for indoor and outdoor installation in California too. I have no problems connected to Sol-Ark 15k.

Back