diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15K + SOK batteries = Weird SOC issue

Thats true, but and equally big problem. If one bms shuts it's pack off, while others are working, that's a huge no-no.

Why do your bms' have non identical settings?
I updated that post as you were typing, if you scroll back up you’ll see the info/images I added.

I can only imagine the different settings are a result of buying the batteries at different times. Prior to having the programming cable I bought last week from Current Connected I was completely unaware of any discrepancies.

Generally I would assume that I could look at the settings in the newest batteries purchased this week and copy their settings into the (3) older batteries. I imagine over time the settings become more and more “perfect” and the newest batteries would have the most optimized values. While I’m rather confident in that being an accurate statement, I think I’ll wait for the opinion of Current Connected before I go make changes.

I updated that post as you were typing, if you scroll back up you’ll see the info/images I added.

I can only imagine the different settings are a result of buying the batteries at different times. Prior to having the programming cable I bought last week from Current Connected I was completely unaware of any discrepancies.

Generally I would assume that I could look at the settings in the newest batteries purchased this week and copy their settings into the (3) older batteries. I imagine over time the settings become more and more “perfect” and the newest batteries would have the most optimized values. While I’m rather confident in that being an accurate statement, I think I’ll wait for the opinion of Current Connected before I go make changes.
Id rather have 56v myself for full charge voltage but that's just me. There's very little between 56v and 57.6 anyway.

Having said that, that's not the reason for your voltage discrepancy. If the voltage is less than full charge voltage (your image showing between 53.x and 55.x for example )and the bms is working they should all be at the same voltage.

This needs to be thoroughly investigated.

@Watts Happening

I'm more concerned about your pack voltages being so wildly different: are they not connected to a common busbar?
100% I think the soc display and other crap is trivial in comparison. I’d rather focus on my cells per pack balancing and then my packs balancing and THEN consider if other visuals may be discrepant

100% I think the soc display and other crap is trivial in comparison. I’d rather focus on my cells per pack balancing and then my packs balancing and THEN consider if other visuals may be discrepant
I would love to see everything balanced, I was purely trying to say it appears the data I'm seeing from Solar Assistant isn't accurate, thus it's hard for me to base anything off of that.

Clearly balanced cells is important, I totally agree.

I suspect the batteries are daisy chained and not connected to a common bus bar and even still the difference is concerning. 55v is about 95% full while 53v could be 50%.

I would love to see everything balanced, I was purely trying to say it appears the data I'm seeing from Solar Assistant isn't accurate, thus it's hard for me to base anything off of that.

If you measure the pack voltages with a multimeter are they identical?

I suspect the batteries are daisy chained and not connected to a common bus bar and even still the difference is concerning. 55v is about 95% full while 53v could be 50%.
I suppose you don't believe when I say they are connected to bus bars with equal length cables?

I suppose you don't believe when I say they are connected to bus bars with equal length cables?
Sorry not calling you a liar, I just don't see how it's possible to be on the same bus bar and have such a variation in voltage. In my mind that's impossible .do you mind posting a pic?

Sorry not calling you a liar, I just don't see how it's possible to be on the same bus bar and have such a variation in voltage. In my mind that's impossible .do you mind posting a pic?
Lol, alright... Here's an old picture with an 18kPV and only three batteries... I'm not around the system right now to produce proof of the current configuration, but I'd think we're all capable of understanding what bus bars and battery cables are. I assure you I didn't buy and install bus bars to simply daisy chain my batteries and pretend I hadn't.

IMG_5833.jpeg

IMG_5899.jpeg

And just to clarify. I’m not trying to push back against any of your rationale or points already made. Just thinking out loud I suppose.
I didn’t think you interpreted negatively but I sometimes dwell on nonsense lmao

Lol, alright... Here's an old picture with an 18kPV and only three batteries... I'm not around the system right now to produce proof of the current configuration, but I'd think we're all capable of understanding what bus bars and battery cables are. I assure you I didn't buy and install bus bars to simply daisy chain my batteries and pretend I hadn't.

View attachment 199407

View attachment 199408

Funny I was just looking at your old threads and had just seen that.

You definitely have bus bars so my mind is fully blown how one battery can be at 55v and another battery on the same bus bar can be at 53v 🤯🤯

Funny I was just looking at your old threads and had just seen that.

You definitely have bus bars so my mind is fully blown how one battery can be at 55v and another battery on the same bus bar can be at 53v 🤯🤯
Would it be possible that when the packs were commissioned that they were at various states of charge and the voltage cutoffs (particularly upper) never allowed them to balance out and simply drift further apart over time?
If I’m not mistaken he fairly recently upped his voltage limit and previously had it lower
Compound that with individual packs being out of balance and the BMS thresholds may have a hay day?

Would it be possible that when the packs were commissioned that they were at various states of charge and the voltage cutoffs (particularly upper) never allowed them to balance out and simply drift further apart over time?
If I’m not mistaken he fairly recently upped his voltage limit and previously had it lower
Compound that with individual packs being out of balance and the BMS thresholds may have a hay day?
I'm not sure. I know that when I've introduced new batteries to my system with a bus bar, they charged to the same voltage within minutes

And just to clarify. I’m not trying to push back against any of your rationale or points already made. Just thinking out loud I suppose.
I didn’t think you interpreted negatively but I sometimes dwell on nonsense lmao
No not at all, maybe I should clarify my points here.

110% I agree that having cells balanced is key, no question about it. That said, this system has been installed for months and never had any "issues", and by that I mean it's worked all day every day. I'm only now aware of these issues due to the creation of this thread and the pursuit of an additional usable 10% of my battery bank capacity leading me to purchase the SOK cable, which then gave me the ability to use the same cable to connect to Solar Assistant when not being used for programming.

After connecting that, I noticed "things not making sense". We all make assumptions, I'm guilty of that. I assumed that the (3) batteries I initially had, all purchased within a relatively short period of time (I don't recall how far apart) would have had the same set points. I've not heard or seen anyone updating SOK firmware, nor have I seen a firmware update talked about on the Current Connected site. With that, I never even considered that they would have differing settings for voltage set points, regardless of firmware. Probably a bad assumption.

I also hadn't monitored cell level parameters because again, I assumed the BMS was doing its job.

I then assumed that the battery reporting to be at 95% had some form of an issue, I never imagined the BMS itself would report a different value locally.

As soon as I realized the value locally and on Solar Assistant wasn't the same, I then thought, well, ANY of the data could be inaccurate, cell voltages etc.

The facts I know to be true are this: They are all SOK 48v batteries from Current Connected, they are all in closed loop communication with the Sol-Ark 15k, I have not made any changes to the settings via SOKTools, they share a common bus bar and equal length battery cables. I would imagine they would balance pretty accurately over time.

I'd like to A) understand where the inaccuracies in reporting through Solar Assistant derive from (doesn't matter, just want to fix it), this way I can monitor data and believe what I'm seeing, which will help me diagnose future issues as I don't particularly want to climb up on my gun safe every time to check things, B) get the cells as balanced as possible (I assume a step in this process is to get all batteries to identical parameters and/or the same firmware) and once those two are accomplished I'd like to C) determine a way to get the BMS to listen to the value input in the "SOC Low Alarm %" field.

As soon as I realized the value locally and on Solar Assistant wasn't the same, I then thought, well, ANY of the data could be inaccurate, cell voltages etc.
Interesting, I hadn’t even considered that but makes sense to the rest of your considerations!

Interesting, I hadn’t even considered that but makes sense to the rest of your considerations!
I will try to find the time this evening to connect SOKTools to each battery and log current settings and current cell voltages, then compare to what I'm seeing in Solar Assistant. At the end of the day Solar Assistant is just a convenience, so long as things at the pack/cell level are actually where they are supposed to be, the rest is just tinkering and 'fun'.

For all I know, the BMS's are doing exactly what they are supposed to and all cells are within .000001v right now.

I'm really curious if the values would match in an open loop setup with the batteries connected directly to SA.

They are currently being read from the solark and passed to SA, correct?
Possibly one of them is averaging the values?

I'm really curious if the values would match in an open loop setup with the batteries connected directly to SA.

They are currently being read from the solark and passed to SA, correct?
Possibly one of them is averaging the values?
Per the settings in Solar Assistant no, they should not be coming from Sol-Ark. I have inverter set to one of my two USB ports and battery connected to the other (Solar Assistant checks the connections and reports if they are 'connected').

Up until receiving that cable from Current Connected I WAS using inverter values in Solar Assistant, it was just seeing what was passed from Sol-Ark which equated to an averaged value of the connected battery packs.

Now that I have the packs connected via a USB adapter directly to Solar Assistant I can see much more granular information, albeit I'm not convinced it's all 100% accurate.

I will however remove the communication from Sol-Ark and see if it magically makes any changes on the Solar Assistant side of things.

Per the settings in Solar Assistant no, they should not be coming from Sol-Ark. I have inverter set to one of my two USB ports and battery connected to the other (Solar Assistant checks the connections and reports if they are 'connected').

Up until receiving that cable from Current Connected I WAS using inverter values in Solar Assistant, it was just seeing what was passed from Sol-Ark which equated to an averaged value of the connected battery packs.

Now that I have the packs connected via a USB adapter directly to Solar Assistant I can see much more granular information, albeit I'm not convinced it's all 100% accurate.

I will however remove the communication from Sol-Ark and see if it magically makes any changes on the Solar Assistant side of things.
I doubt it will.

I should have stated long ago that I've never used closed loop and all of my thoughts are from what I've learned in an open loop setup, I also have a different brand BMS.

I was experiencing random communication errors until I jumped to the beta version and kept up with updates.
Have you noticed any errors in the SA settings tab?

You can see a log in the USB details section as well.
1000000164.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-01-19-21-11-37_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-01-19-21-11-37_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1
No errors shown, USB settings look accurate to me, I’ve played with it all many times this week.
IMG_7787.jpeg

Back