diy solar

diy solar

SOLD Sigineer 24V 6k nominal 18k surge 120/240 inverter charger like new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Pearl

This Sigineer 24v, 6k - 18k inverter charger has less than a week runtime on it, and it works perfectly fine. Comes with everything that it came with new - including the original box.

The reason I am trying to sell it is because it pulls to much parasitic draw on my small battery bank.

I have 1600 watts on the roof, 2pc 12v 200ah Chins LiFePO4's in series, and that not gonna cut it with this inverter. Live and learn...

I paid 1300 + tax for the inverter. My asking price is 1100 OBO. This inverter weighs ~74 pounds, and shipping it will be so expensive, that local pick up is preferred. North central Florida, near Lake City (where i10 and i75 intersect).

Below is a link to the unit

Yep. Pretty hefty. About 110W IIRC.

Neighbor has had his installed for about a year running a 3hp or 2hp 700' deep Grundfos well pump (replaced 3hp with 2hp this past year). It doesn't even notice the surge.

FWIW, you're going to encounter this on any replacement you find unless you're going to shell out big $$ for Tier-1 hardware.

40-50W per 3000W rated AC output is pervasive on EG4, Growatt, MPP Solar, etc.

Good luck!

I replaced it with a voltworks 2k nominal 4k surge -120 only. Parasitic draw is very low, something like ~20 watts.

The Sigineer inverter I am trying to sell draws 140 watts idle, without the power saver on. With or without the power saver feature on, the unit will draw 140 watts when its actively producing power.

Like many, I should've initially built a 24v system to begin with, and bought at least 2 PCs 24v 200ah LiFePO4's (4 preferred). As I understand things, I cannot add additional identical LiFePO4's to my ~2 year old LiFePO4's that used to run my 12v Xantrex inverter.

I might buy the 24v 3k version of the inverter I am trying to sell. It draws about ~37 watts idle, and I could probably deal with that with my current battery bank. I prefer to have 2 inverters on hand - we'll see...

Last edited:
The Sigineer inverter I am trying to sell draws 140 watts idle, without the power saver on. With or without the power saver feature on, the unit will draw 140 watts when its actively producing power.

Just checked with my neighbor. 122W according to his notes. He has 24kWh of 2V lead cells, and he only uses it to pump water, so the idle load isn't a concern even if it were 2X.

Like many, I should've initially built a 24v system to begin with, and bought at least 2 PCs 24v 200ah LiFePO4's (4 preferred). As I understand things, I cannot add additional identical LiFePO4's to my ~2 year old LiFePO4's that used to run my 12v Xantrex inverter.

This is essentially a fear tactic. You would not want to mix them, but a 2S2P battery bank with each string the same age is perfectly acceptable. You simply need to wire it in accordance with best practices and ensure they are operating within spec with a DC clamp ammeter under heavy charge and discharge.

I might buy the 24v 3k version of the inverter I am trying to sell. It draws about ~37 watts idle,

If you're going off a published spec, I wouldn't trust it. Count on 50W+

and I could probably deal with that with my current battery bank. I prefer to have 2 inverters on hand - we'll see...

I hear you on having backup options.

Just checked with my neighbor. 122W according to his notes.
That's interesting. I only had the unit running for a few days, and I was seeing some fluctuating numbers far as idle consumption - but I didn't do numerous tests to be certain about parasitic draw with multiple different scenarios. Here is a picture of idle consumption without a load - 155 watts.

Attachments

• PXL_20230301_011331680.jpg
    PXL_20230301_011331680.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 10
This is essentially a fear tactic
Yeah, I figured as much myself, but there has to be some legitimate reason LiFePO4 manufactures recommend this. I didn't dive into the technicals regarding that aspect yet - so I will have to digress for now.

The last question I asked Chins technical support was - how many people do it anyways? I didn't get a response to that question - haha.

If you're going off a published spec, I wouldn't trust it. Count on 50W+
Yeah, those thoughts pretty much go with the picture I posted previously. The manufacturer might say the parasitic draw will be let's say - 140 watts, but it could be ~155 watts - as per my picture.

I supposes it's possible that the 3k Sigineer that's supposed to draw 37 watts at idle could be more like ~55. I should look into confirming that before I seriously consider buying it.

Keep in mind when reselling a piece of solar/inverter/battery equipment that people purchasing new can get a 30% Federal tax credit on their purchase under the new IRS rules beginning in 2023, so you may not be able to get as much as you think it's worth.

Keep in mind when reselling a piece of solar/inverter/battery equipment that people purchasing new can get a 30% Federal tax credit on their purchase under the new IRS rules beginning in 2023, so you may not be able to get as much as you think it's worth.
I hear you, but I will go out on a limb and say that I think its quite likely or possible that countless people that are building SHTF or the alike off grid setups, aren't playing by "thier" codes, rules, etc...

Your thoughts are also relevant as to why its says OBO in the listing.

Let's see where this goes, if anywhere...

Thanks

That's interesting. I only had the unit running for a few days, and I was seeing some fluctuating numbers far as idle consumption - but I didn't do numerous tests to be certain about parasitic draw with multiple different scenarios. Here is a picture of idle consumption without a load - 155 watts.

Did you confirm that with a clamp DC ammeter?

Yeah, I figured as much myself, but there has to be some legitimate reason LiFePO4 manufactures recommend this. I didn't dive into the technicals regarding that aspect yet - so I will have to digress for now.

The last question I asked Chins technical support was - how many people do it anyways? I didn't get a response to that question - haha.

If someone stands to gain from imposing such a rule will benefit financially (more batteries purchased or more installation fees), that's all you really need to know. It's done all the time.

Did you confirm that with a clamp DC ammeter?
No, but that common gauge in the picture I posted has proven itself accurate down to 1 watt over the past ~2 years. Doubt it was screwing up when I took that picture a couple nights ago. I took a picture directly before that picture with 3 pc's of 6 watts each led lights, and the math is correct.

If someone stands to gain from imposing such a rule will benefit financially (more batteries purchased or more installation fees), that's all you really need to know. It's done all the time.
Yeah, it made sense to ask asked Chins first, and then a few other laypeople. I never did post about it here, but I'd guess there are numerous existing threads on that topic. I figured the same as you, and appreciate your thoughts. Its still an option...

My batteries are gently used. I use them daily, and rarely discharge them past 50% overnight. I'm totally with you that I likely could add a parallel series string to my existing series string, but I don't wanna rush into anything and make another expensive mistake of sorts - haha.

If LiFePO4's in any configuration weren't so damn expensive - I wouldn't be trying to sell the inverter - heh.

I have the same inverter running my house
Yeah, its a beast - no doubt it will run a house and then some if everything is configured wisely. I don't have a problem with the inverter itself - it just consumes a bit more power to make power than anticipated. In all honesty, I knew I bit off more of an inverter than my bank could handle before I bought it. Given what I might get for it - I'm on the fence about even selling it.

If you don't mind me asking, how many kW of panels are you using? And what type batteries are you using - LFP, etc? And what is the size of your bank?

Thanks

I'm maxed out on my SCC for 24v configuration, although I am aware that I could over panel, etc.

I think I have plenty of panels - my biggest weakness is the size of my battery bank. I need to at least double what I currently have - 4800wh simply isn't enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back