diy solar

diy solar

Strange PV dark power production on Dec 1, 2023 @ 0404-0514 PST

Sol-Ark's monitoring platform (PowerView) flipped out the morning of the 1st. A bunch of people reported it on FB groups. I had upwards of 1.1 kW of PV production at 0445 CST and my battery showed 2487% SOC. o_O

Solar Assistant reported normal/expected info during the anomaly so it was the cloud service.

G3 Solar Flares ?
swpc.noaa.gov/news/g3-strong-geomagnetic-storm-observed-01-dec

Kinda of suspect an abnormally in the data, thus the OP. Wanted to make sure it is not a some kind of (LDE) EMP induced current, and regret not getting the EMP model from Sol Ark. Would be comforting to know it just a Cloud Glitch.

Other than the turbulent weather lately, there was a spike at 12:00 UTC which is approx. same time measured by GOES satellite, but measurement was C5.2, not a M or X, but above A & B.

EG4 BMS Data:
What's weird is that the downloaded battery SOC from EG4 Communication Hub for the (8) LifePower4 batteries and seems to collaborate with energy draw starting around 5:10am onwards instead of 5:00am as programmed for the TOU. Unfortunately, I had the battery draw to pause at 50% until 5:00am, so its hard to know if there could be some problems with EG4's hardware reporting for the same day. On other days, power draw below 50% seems to be spot on at 5:00am.

Power View data ... real database or madeup?
Lastly, wonder if Sol-ark's PowerView app is showing real data or just making it up. Other than SOC ... Battery Use, Grid draw and Load seems to be within normal parameters. CT is installed and behavior is consistent with what is expected should the PV start producing power. Possible that there is an algorithm to derive Grid draw from Load minus PV production .... hope that is not the case as I doubt Sol-Ark will risk their reputation doing that. As noted, CT is installed, so assume it is measured and recorded. Will contact Sol-Ark on this to verify or if there's a problem with the Inverter or a Cloud Glitch. An EMP will affect multiple people around the country, assume I am the chosen one to receive all the extra power from the Sun or Lightning gods.

1701569405683.png

Sol-Ark's monitoring platform (PowerView) flipped out the morning of the 1st. A bunch of people reported it on FB groups. I had upwards of 1.1 kW of PV production at 0445 CST and my battery showed 2487% SOC. o_O

Solar Assistant reported normal/expected info during the anomaly so it was the cloud service.
Then it should be renamed to the sun service :unsure:

Just noticed a weird power production in the dark between 4:04am to 5:14am, then another spike around 5:44am.

I suspect that the A/D converters are zero'd (autocalibration) for better zero accuracy from time to time, necessary for 14 bits or more to be LSB accurate. This may not be done continuously as it takes quite a bit more power than normal A/D operation, which would kill battery powered use of that chip. This would explain continuous values for rather weird periods. It is possible that the A/D was hit by high solar winds and either shredded the stored offset gain values, or somehow messed up measurements during the calibration process due to a voltage spike (a single alpha particle). Maybe possible to confirm by measuring the time interval between when the reading went to zero (proper calibration) - if it's something fixed like 5 mins or 20 mins, then possible.

Back