diy solar

diy solar

Suggestions on Moving a Large Cliff? Or, Sizing of Off-Grid camps on cliffside to SE.

jgriffin

Hey all,
Looking for some advice on gearing up camps properly to a meaningful amount of solar. We are a remote island who does have some installers that come from nearby cities, but tend to talk people into Lead Acid setups. These camps are not tended all the time, and the next one i'm helping get geared up is actually a 5th wheel trailer. They currently have a 24v 3000 watt AIO hooked up to 4-6v lead acid batteries. They've had experience with much larger setups on an off-grid home, but the transition to a small system has them a bit stumped. Me being super nerdy understands how the hair dryer going for any length of time with other things on is definitely problematic. My first suggestion was to shack the lead acid and go with some server rack lifepo4 to keep costs minimal. There is a sea can these can be placed into if need be, but current lead acid setup is in the front hatch of the 5th wheel.

Hair dryer, Refrigerator, converter for 12V system to keep charged up, Starlink Internet, coffee maker, water heater, and I know air conditioner isn't used, but I know darn well they'll try it sometime if it's there. Fridge and Water heater are likely on propane, but again, I know they'll run out and try to rely on it.
Should I be steering them toward a 48v system where they're already limited by the 3000 watt inverter on the 24v? I was initially thinking of paralleling as many 24v batteries as needed until their needs were met eventually, start them off with 2 for now. But now i'm wondering if I should be getting them to get a whole new 48V AIO with 1 battery for starters, and then expand on that as time went on. Try and educate them a bit more on the frugalness of being off-grid. They do have some nice gas generators they've been relying on.

I haven't been back to the location, but I seem to remember about 600 watt of panels. The most challenging thing of this location is a giant cliff that robs a lot of morning sun, even as much as when it's directly south (the location is actually called Dark Harbour). So i'd be working with SW to W primarily, and can see hours of PV go from the 4-5 range to about 2.5 to 3. The only thing they have going for them is they visit in Summer, winter time everyone out there has struggles getting enough power out of their systems with many overcast days.
So in my mind, it makes sense to go a bit higher than typical with the amount of solar panels, just to try and get what bit of sun is there for a short amount of time. Something with a wide pv range so I can wire panels in series and be within the working voltage range as much as possible.

Where they do leave over the winter and it isn't checked on often, should I be looking more toward keeping batteries warm so they'll actually take a charge safely? is it wise for them to invest in the backup heater? Or just go with an external battery heater for each server rack battery? On the flip side, what can be expected of lifepo4 in the real world if they were charged decently high and then system shut off to not allow for a charge at all?

Any input is greatly appreicated. I'll attach some pictures/video of the location as well. I just wouldn't want them to make a large investment and still not be happy in the end. Build off their existing 24v or start in on their 48v? Thanks!

Attachments

• OverheadDarkHarbour.jpg
    OverheadDarkHarbour.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 6
I also should mention we're in New Brunswick, Canada. Actually closer to Maine than New Brunswick, but cold enough temps that affect max allowable string voltage as well.

Actually closer to Maine than New Brunswick
That’s why they’re into flooded batteries not LiFePo.
My first suggestion was to shack the lead acid and go with some server rack lifepo4 to keep costs minimal.
So that isn’t necessarily so.

What is so is that people need to pay attention with solar like they do their gas tank in the car, except you need a lot of batteries not just go fill them at Irving.

You will need temp cutoff and/or warmers for the batteries- but you ain’t gonna get much if any wintertime watts anyways.

Agreed on those points. They are snowbirds who travel 3000 kms away and make no use of the rv from October until April/May.

Seeing an lv6548 package with sok server rack batteries and 3600 watt of panels for 10k CDN. Still gotta do some math on max PV voltage where we’re a colder climate. Think 125% of string voltage gets me close. Even with inverter off, would be nice to keep a bit of a charge up even if it’s only for an hour.

Agreed on those points. They are snowbirds who travel 3000 kms away and make no use of the rv from October until April/May.

Seeing an lv6548 package with sok server rack batteries and 3600 watt of panels for 10k CDN. Still gotta do some math on max PV voltage where we’re a colder climate. Think 125% of string voltage gets me close. Even with inverter off, would be nice to keep a bit of a charge up even if it’s only for an hour.
Maybe consider having a LiFePO4 battery that they can disconnect easily and take with them when shutting down for the season? Alternately Pb-Acid would be better given little power in winter to keep them warm.

Would trackers help capture what few sun hours you have more efficiently? Certainly the high acceptance rate of Li batteries is an advantage in using what power you can glean in the short window of sunlight available.

Even with inverter off, would be nice to keep a bit of a charge up even if it’s only for an hour.
Store the LiFePo at 75% charged
They don’t need to be held “full” as they will effectively not self-discharge overwintering.

Maybe consider having a LiFePO4 battery that they can disconnect easily and take with them when shutting down for the season? Alternately Pb-Acid would be better given little power in winter to keep them warm.

Would trackers help capture what few sun hours you have more efficiently? Certainly the high acceptance rate of Li batteries is an advantage in using what power you can glean in the short window of sunlight
I think the plan is to move the batteries into a seacan at some point. Currently the lead acid ones are in an insulated hatch toward the front of the rv.

I initially don’t love the idea of trackers here, we have high wind gusts approaching 100 knots from the North on multiple occasions most winters. Many small wind turbines haven’t been up to the task either. Generally in our area, if moving parts don’t fail, corrosion isn’t long doing it’s things, especially electrical connections. We use penetrox/coppertrox at work I tend to use on everything. I will look into trackers a bit more though, see if they’re up for the task. I’ve always seen more panels offsetting gains achieved from a tracker, but if PV sizing gets limited, might be worth revisiting.
Store the LiFePo at 75% charged
They don’t need to be held “full” as they will effectively not self-discharge overwintering.
Kinda what I was hoping for. I figured a full lifepo4 with no charge would settle at a lower voltage, but still well above any low voltage cutoff values from the bms, like 60-80%.

Well, LiFePO4 batteries would have to be disconnected during the winter if subjected to below freezing temperatures (you can't charge them in the cold). However many of them are not damaged by cold storage and they prefer to sit only partially full anyways, and don't need to be kept regularly charged over a winter like lead acid batteries do to avoid damage. The BMS won't be doing anything if they are disconnected, and hopefully won't be drawing any current if well designed.

Back