diy solar

diy solar

Supply/materials list to install EG4 Solar Mini Split?

betterways

I have scrolled up and down the installation manual and don't see such a thing. You'd think it would be after the stating the obvious list of tools you might need.

I am particularly looking for the AC connection.

I have scrolled up and down the installation manual and don't see such a thing. You'd think it would be after the stating the obvious list of tools you might need.

I am particularly looking for the AC connection.
Should be the same as a standard mini split install. You can find it on either hvac or electrical DIY sources, and a lot of people would probably go by memory list. And also varies by the wiring method you want to use

Starting from the subpanel/main panel feeding it:
- 2-pole Branch circuit breaker
- Wire splicing hardware
- AC disconnect

Outdoor rated cable / conduit from subpanel to AC. This is the most variable part and also the hardest to spec 🤷. If you provide details about how you plan to run this someone can help put a list together.

Usually people run #10 for AC for 30A-35A ampacity, but of course look at MCA and MOCP electrical specs on the mini split (min circuit ampacity / max overcurrent protection)

AC as in power? The 12k needs a 20a 120v plug or box on the outside, the 24k 30a. I have a 12k AND not using the grid box, pulled the connector. I have mine wired with an extension cord to my Bluetti AC300 for grid when needed and works great, so you could use a heavy duty extension cord to an outlet. Mine goes through a hole that the PV cables run through. Nice option to have both.

AC Disconnect, usually come in 60A I think.

Liquidtight from the Disconnect to mini split. You can buy all the parts separate or they sell premade whips at the home improvement store with wires and connectors inside. Don't oversize and get the 8 awg one just cause it's the same price, cause 8 might not fit in the terminals.

From the disconnect back to the panel is up to you, that's all custom.

Just got done installing a mini-split and removing it shipping it back to the seller, but I did install wire and disconnect box. I accidently bought a fused disconnect what I did was put 25amp fast blow fuses which is what the sticker on the mini split stated max fuse size was 25 amps for the 9000 BTU. I pulled 10AWG to my panel and put a 30 amp breaker. I already had a few double pole 30 amps I just removed the bridge between the double pole and made the breaker into 2 single poles. Saved some money there.

This is what I would get make sure you put in a disconnect right next to the outdoor unit.

30 amps non-fused disconnect from Home Depot is $20. It's 120 or 240 I just wire up the hot and neutral to the disconnect I was using 120V if 240V then pull a black, red, and a green for ground. Black and Red will go through the disconnect grounds go to the ground bar in the middle. Use 1/2" liquid tight metallic flex conduit as a whip from the disconnect to the outdoor unit. I prefer the metallic liquid flex conduit just lasts lot longer like having the metal passing an extra ground back to the my main just incase that way if a case got energized somehow it would not be isolated from the ground of my box using non metallic flex would do that.

Run 1/2" EMT conduit to your panel to the disconnect. Run THHN stranded 10AWG wire from the panel to the disconnect then on to the mini-split inside the flex conduit. Put a whatever breaker the AC unit calls for that way it will protect your compressor just can't go higher then 30 amps for 10AWG.

Attachments

• PXL_20240705_194753989.jpg
    PXL_20240705_194753989.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 4
Just got done installing a mini-split and removing it shipping it back to the seller, but I did install wire and disconnect box. I accidently bought a fused disconnect what I did was put 25amp fast blow fuses which is what the sticker on the mini split stated max fuse size was 25 amps for the 9000 BTU. I pulled 10AWG to my panel and put a 30 amp breaker. I already had a few double pole 30 amps I just removed the bridge between the double pole and made the breaker into 2 single poles. Saved some money there.

This is what I would get make sure you put in a disconnect right next to the outdoor unit.

30 amps non-fused disconnect from Home Depot is $20. It's 120 or 240 I just wire up the hot and neutral to the disconnect I was using 120V if 240V then pull a black, red, and a green for ground. Black and Red will go through the disconnect grounds go to the ground bar in the middle. Use 1/2" liquid tight metallic flex conduit as a whip from the disconnect to the outdoor unit. I prefer the metallic liquid flex conduit just lasts lot longer like having the metal passing an extra ground back to the my main just incase that way if a case got energized somehow it would not be isolated from the ground of my box using non metallic flex would do that.

Run 1/2" EMT conduit to your panel to the disconnect. Run THHN stranded 10AWG wire from the panel to the disconnect then on to the mini-split inside the flex conduit. Put a whatever breaker the AC unit calls for that way it will protect your compressor just can't go higher then 30 amps for 10AWG.
Looks like mine except for the solar cables and extension cord are missing ;-D. Why you sending it back?

diy solar

diy solar
Back