diy solar

diy solar

Warning buying a cheap mini split off Amazon

its because most people these days are totally, totally lost around a set of tools... any tools. some of the simplest home repairs people look at it like its black magic of some sort.

"You're so smart" I'm told. No. I'm not. I'm just an idiot with a wrench, screwdriver, and wire cutters, and I'm not afraid to use them. Sometimes in a rather stupid manner when looking back at it, and it may have been smarter to put them down 🤪

The advice sounds good but in practice I have found that the price I pay for something may or may not translate into support for it. Buying the best you can often requires a great deal of research and reading of reviews (carefully). With new products it is a crap shoot.
yes, magnum is a perfect example. prior to Sensata buying magnum, and chasing off all of the old timers who designed the units and made it a great unit to purchase (albeit expensive) the service was great. I sent a question to the tech line just two weeks ago and after a week of waiting had to send a second message saying hello??? any of you know how to answer an email? that got their attention, but I doubt I will be able to trust anything they say now as a result.

Super common. HVAC guys see an older system and see big $$$$ and don't want to even bother trying to repair.
You mean most don’t know how to troubleshoot and basically can just throw parts at it, all they can do is read trouble codes. The fun part is when you get to the job and realize the previous guy has futzed with the wiring and it ain’t right.

The advice sounds good but in practice I have found that the price I pay for something may or may not translate into support for it. Buying the best you can often requires a great deal of research and reading of reviews (carefully). With new products it is a crap shoot.
After living in Asia for almost a decade I've found it best practice to check reviews and do research on everything we buy.

Screenshot_20240710-081853~2.png

the answer for that is pay with a credit card and get it clawed back.
The way they get around the credit card dispute is they ask you to ship it back to them at your expense. This is very common with DIY lifepo4 cells from China. You can dispute the charge on Alibaba what will happen is the credit card company will just tell you once it's been shipped back they will refund you. The cost to ship batteries back to China exceeds 80% of the purchase price. In my case it was purchased on an Amazon chase bank card. I know what they will say is I have to pay to ship it back to them.

I fully admit it was my own fault for this impulse buy if I had read the fine print about buyer paid shipping returns, warranty, no phone support in the US (obvious sign going to have trouble) I would not have bought it. I'm just hoping to save someone else here from going down the same path I did with these Mini-splits. Do some research make sure warranty is good with a DIY install especially if your spending a lot more money on a name brand like Daikin. You spend $2500 later find out the warranty is void because you could not fill out the warranty card.

The way they get around the credit card dispute is they ask you to ship it back to them at your expense. This is very common with DIY lifepo4 cells from China. You can dispute the charge on Alibaba what will happen is the credit card company will just tell you once it's been shipped back they will refund you. The cost to ship batteries back to China exceeds 80% of the purchase price. In my case it was purchased on an Amazon chase bank card. I know what they will say is I have to pay to ship it back to them.

I fully admit it was my own fault for this impulse buy if I had read the fine print about buyer paid shipping returns, warranty, no phone support in the US (obvious sign going to have trouble) I would not have bought it. I'm just hoping to save someone else here from going down the same path I did with these Mini-splits. Do some research make sure warranty is good with a DIY install especially if your spending a lot more money on a name brand like Dakin. You spend $2500 later find out the warranty is void because you could not fill out the warranty card.
China are great at adding loopholes, when windows tablets were just becoming to be a thing I bought a relatively decent brand from bang good. Within a few days of receiving the SSD died I went through the whole warranty process with no issues, sent the item back then a few months went by and the tablet arrived at my door with a Chinese customs letter stating they don't allow lithium pouch batteries into the country via mail.....

I fully admit it was my own fault for this impulse buy if I had read the fine print about buyer paid shipping returns, warranty, no phone support in the US (obvious sign going to have trouble) I would not have bought it. I'm just hoping to save someone else here from going down the same path I did with these Mini-splits. Do some research make sure warranty is good with a DIY install especially if your spending a lot more money on a name brand like Daikin. You spend $2500 later find out the warranty is void because you could not fill out the warranty card.
understood, I just hate seeing good people getting screwed with no recourse...

Sorry you are having issues. Been there done that to many times. I did have great luck with Senville off Amazon. It never turns off. Put it in bedroom and during the day I have a box fan blowing it out of the room to keep the house cooler in the day. Night time it is 72F Berrrr... wife freezes me out.

Sorry you are having issues. Been there done that to many times. I did have great luck with Senville off Amazon. It never turns off. Put it in bedroom and during the day I have a box fan blowing it out of the room to keep the house cooler in the day. Night time it is 72F Berrrr... wife freezes me out
I'm thinking about putting one over our bed connect it to solar power we like it cold when we sleep.

After several back and forth emails and calling Amazon support who lit a fire under them to they sent me pre-paid shipping labels to ship both back to them. It took me 1/2 a day to uninstall it clean everything up then pack it carefully back in the boxes. The outdoor unit had shipping straps because it was a slide off box. I had no shipping straps I cut the ones that were on it. I had to use 3 large zip ties usually used for HVAC flex duct not cheap. It did the trick I only had to cut it off 3 times because I forgot to put some thing in that box. It will probably be a week before I hear back again hopefully they just refund me and I can move on from them.

I dd find out that if you buy a mini-split from Amazon directly they do sell some you can return it within 30 days without a problem no shipping cost after that your on your own. I even looked for the control boards they do sell many mostly main stream brands not these renamed Midea's.

If it hadn't been with in the 30 day window I doubt I would have gotten any support. I'm still sticking with same advice buy from a known source who will be there to back you up. Chinese 2 am support by email wasted lot of time. My plan is either Pioneer or Home Depot I'm leaning toward home depot.

My plan is either Pioneer or Home Depot
Pioneer seems to be a good unit. Both myself and my brother have purchased this brand. I'm in my second year of using mine, my brother is in year three. Home Depot does offer the Pioneer, and if purchased there, you can utilize them should any warranty needs arise.

I'm leaning toward Pioneer they give a 5 year warranty, and don't have any language about professional install. Home Depot does sell them they don't sell the highest seer model called the Hyperformance series up to 25.2 seer. Home depot does sell the Quantum inverter ++ series which is 24 seer probably get that one. Going to cost double what I paid for this amazon one but rather pay for peace of mind. If you live in Florida you can pick these up locally from Parker Davis the manufacture without having to pay shipping. Several online companies who sell them $300-400 less because Home Depot is just adding the shipping cost in to their price.

If you read most of the cheaper ones give 1 year warranty that is if you can even get them to respond. Most of these shell companies on Amazon have no way to support you other then having you pay to ship both back to them the cost is $350 coast to coast I checked when I went to drop them off.

Mr Cool is good but I don't need the pre-charged diy pay extra for that over $1100-1200. When I install the next one going to buy flare tools and shorten the line set up. I will use a Appion MGAVCR core removal tool to vacuum it as well. This is good video how to vacuum and charge a mini-split.

Last edited:
I installed a Pioneer 12K 200V unit back in 2016 and had problems that were never resolved. It works great when it very hot outside (90+), but poorly cools with lower outdoor temps. You'd think that wouldn't be a problem but it is since the house heat soaks during the day and at night when you want to cool it down, it won't. It's weird. Went back and forth with them a few times and finally was told "I bought too small of a system". Doesn't make sense as the differential temp across the inside coil shows the problem. Even has system evacuated and refilled, no change.

Costaway has reasonably priced units, running R32 though.

Mr Cool is good but I don't need the pre-charged diy pay extra for that over $1100-1200. When I install the next one going to buy flare tools and shorten the line set up. I will use a Appion MGAVCR core removal tool to vacuum it as well. This is good video how to vacuum and charge a mini-split.

I have 3 mrcools, none of them use the precharged line sets. I have two ductless ( 9k btu ) for garage and enclosed porch and one ducted ( 24k btu but can be selected for 36k ) works just as any central system would. They have models up to 25 Seer.

I bought them from Ingram's with free shipping, no issues been running 3+ years now zero issues and total cost was under 2.5K as I bought ding and dents discounted ones.

I have 3 mrcools, none of them use the precharged line sets. I have two ductless ( 9k btu ) for garage and enclosed porch and one ducted ( 24k btu but can be selected for 36k ) works just as any central system would. They have models up to 25 Seer.

I bought them from Ingram's with free shipping, no issues been running 3+ years now zero issues and total cost was under 2.5K as I bought ding and dents discounted ones.

Some good points there with Home Depot I get a no questions asked 1 year return if I use my home depot credit card. Then 4 more years of Pioneer support through their warranty. While I'm sure Ingrams is a good place to shop I find it easier to buy locally for these larger items because shipping is so costly to return something to them if I had to ship the Outdoor unit back.

Probably going to upsize to 1 ton my 2 car garage is 380 SQ feet the inverter running will be adding to the heat. Probably go with this one https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pioneer...eat-Pump-208-230V-WYS012GMFI22RL-16/311771300

Little more then I wanted to spend but way I look at it if it can't keep up with the heat from the inverter I would have to spend more on another one, or replacing it instead of just buying little larger one for $100 more now. Can't buy anything until I hear back from the Amazon seller take a week for them to receive the defective one I just sent back.

They refunded today even before they got the broken ones back I do believe it was due to Amazon getting involved I was still with in the 30 day window. I like Amazon but certain items just have to avoid buying always read the fine print.

Solar Guppy,
Sounds like a good deal the open box I once got burned by a open box no longer buy them. Not saying all are like that there is a reason it's being returned. Lot of times refurbs have intermittent issues when they were checked out the problem didn't happen. The next person gets stuck with it.

Going to order from Home Depot soon couple of things I'm going to do differently buying a better line set cover also going to wall mount it.

diy solar

diy solar
Back