diy solar

diy solar

Swapping out old fla set with drop-in LiFePo diy advice

adkroot

I've decided to swap out my old fla set with either Battleborn or Relion batteries and wonder about the complexity of the process, and if it's a diy project or better left to a professional.

My off-grid system is currently powered by 6) 110w panels and 6) 130w panels, and the battery bank is 8 trojan L16 re batteries.
Outback vfx3524 inverter and mate system controller
Outback Flexmax 60 mppt controller

Is swapping out the batteries and replacing with and reprogramming for the LiFePo a process that someone with a working electrical knowledge can handle?
Thanks, Dan

Swapping the batteries will not present any special issues. May need to review fitment and adjust the connections for physical differences.

Probably need to dial down the voltage from L16 and skip the equalization. Charge at 13.8 to 14.2 is fine and float around 13.2 and all is good.

If exposed to somewhat below freezing... provisions should be made to keep the LFP batteries above freezing.

Swapping the batteries will not present any special issues. May need to review fitment and adjust the connections for physical differences.

Probably need to dial down the voltage from L16 and skip the equalization. Charge at 13.8 to 14.2 is fine and float around 13.2 and all is good.

The above + disable temperature compensation.

If exposed to somewhat below freezing... provisions should be made to keep the LFP batteries above freezing.

@adkroot, Both Battleborn and ReLion self-protect against charging during freezing (will destroy Lithium), and at least one model of the battleborn has an internal heater.

Back