diy solar

diy solar

System and charge controller question

linemanreney

Hello,

I set up a system in my chicken coop to run a light at night run by a photo eye dusk to Dawn. It consists of a solar panel and a battery and a low voltage disconnect. I bought a Morningstar MPPT charge controller on it with load diversion under the impression that it would dump excess generation to a load when there was excess and it would go off when the excess subsided. I planned to use this excess to power a small circulating fan in the summer time to help move air and a small silicone heater under the water dish in the winter. I found out that the charge controller will allow these loads to come on during the day when the sun is aplenty but then allows it to keep running after then sun goes down stealing from the battery that I want to be designated strictly for the lighting. To me this seems like a bad design but maybe I’m not opening my mind to other situations. Does anyone have an idea what I need to do to accomplish this setup? Did I buy the wrong controller and need a different type or something? All ideas appreciated. Thanks

Report Edit

Back