diy solar

diy solar

Test run with a small system first?

The more I look in my panel, the more it seems like the 60 amp breakers are the main shut off, which is kind of not really a shut off because the two scary braided aluminum wires are still hot.
Just be wary of those.. they can and will cause lots of death and other negative effects to you and your body. I can only assume that the only way to not make those less scary is to remove the meter which I highly recommend not doing. just be careful.

The more I look in my panel, the more it seems like the 60 amp breakers are the main shut off, which is kind of not really a shut off because the two scary braided aluminum wires are still hot. No matter what I do I just assume the whole panel is constantly live.

The 60a breaker does not look like a shutoff for the panel. You can see the large power feed in cable going to the bus bar lugs at the top. There is wires that come from that breaker leading to something. If I was to guess the 60a is a supply to an electric range/stove.

It is surprising you do not have a home disconnect other than pulling your meter. If you intend any rewiring you will likely need the meter pulled by the Poco.

Just be wary of those.. they can and will cause lots of death and other negative effects to you and your body. I can only assume that the only way to not make those less scary is to remove the meter which I highly recommend not doing. just be careful.
yeah. I am trying to be super careful. Electricity is very dangerous and one mistake can cost your life. I generally only want to touch dead wires.

The 60a breaker does not look like a shutoff for the panel. You can see the large power feed in cable going to the bus bar lugs at the top. There is wires that come from that breaker leading to something. If I was to guess the 60a is a supply to an electric range/stove.

It is surprising you do not have a home disconnect other than pulling your meter. If you intend any rewiring you will likely need the meter pulled by the Poco.
yeah its dumb. My house was build early 70s/late 60s and i guess that wasn't code then. On the panel, that 60 amp braker is labeled as main.

Well pretty easy to find out. Flip off the breaker and see if you have power.

The more I look in my panel, the more it seems like the 60 amp breakers are the main shut off, which is kind of not really a shut off because the two scary braided aluminum wires are still hot. No matter what I do I just assume the whole panel is constantly live.
Yea could be, they're always hot from the street.. good thing you know that lol
You usually have to call the power company to have a building shut off if you're messing with those
60amp is really tiny for a whole house though

Well pretty easy to find out. Flip off the breaker and see if you have power.
yep he should lol

1711977176106.png

Yea these have their own wires to them.. can't imagine they're related to the mains on top. These are for your dryer / hvac or something

yep he should lol

View attachment 206232

Yea these have their own wires to them.. can't imagine they're related to the mains on top. These are for your dryer / hvac or something
I'll do that later today, but like I said, the wires at top are always hot. Scary stuff. I honestly don't need too much more power than 60 amps anyways because there are appliances that I could use that are more power efficient. would be hard to add a dedicated EV circuit though. I think my service is technically a 100 amp service too.

I'll do that later today, but like I said, the wires at top are always hot. Scary stuff. I honestly don't need too much more power than 60 amps anyways because there are appliances that I could use that are more power efficient. would be hard to add a dedicated EV circuit though. I think my service is technically a 100 amp service too.
Yea, the wires at the top are always hot on virtually every home.. at least in the USA
the on/off switch most main breakers have doesn't ever turn the wires off. It turns the wires feeding the breaker blades off

Yea, the wires at the top are always hot on virtually every home.. at least in the USA
the on/off switch most main breakers have doesn't ever turn the wires off. It turns the wires feeding the breaker blades off
Almost makes me wonder why there isn't a recommendation for a switch before heading to the panel. But I guess that could increase fire risk because you have another connection being made on the main line. I don't know.

Almost makes me wonder why there isn't a recommendation for a switch before heading to the panel. But I guess that could increase fire risk because you have another connection being made on the main line. I don't know.
cuz the wires into that switch would always be hot too
somewhere it has to always be hot lmao

My house Main panel has its own main shut off breaker, A MTS is before it that can be thrown to Off. A breaker before the Transfer switch and finally the power pole shut off breaker just after the meter. None of them run hot. Fire risk only increases with bad connections or constant draw at the limits of the design.

If you ever go the route of adding an EV and a heavy duty charger you are going to need to upgrade your setup.

My house Main panel has its own main shut off breaker, A MTS is before it that can be thrown to Off. A breaker before the Transfer switch and finally the power pole shut off breaker just after the meter. None of them run hot. Fire risk only increases with bad connections or constant draw at the limits of the design.

If you ever go the route of adding an EV and a heavy duty charger you are going to need to upgrade your setup.
If i ever decide to get an EV, the most I could ever do is allow it to draw up to 20 amps with my current set up. not awful but not enough. I am not sure what my service connection is actually rated to be at the moment either. I assume its like 100 or 125 amps though.

How do you bond two bare copper wires side by side together? I am trying to think of a way to connect the sub panel ground to my main panel ground and virtually every single way I can think to maneuver the wire involves a very likely risk of creating a giant spark/electrocution problem. only way I can think to do it is either bond the wire to the side of the existing wire with some kind of bolt or to use a insulated stranded wire for the ground and that doesn't seem correct to code to me. Is a split bolt the correct thing to make the connection?

Also who is the resident electrician? I may have a couple of code questions for them.

Last edited:
How do you bond two bare copper wires side by side together? I am trying to think of a way to connect the sub panel ground to my main panel ground and virtually every single way I can think to maneuver the wire involves a very likely risk of creating a giant spark/electrocution problem. only way I can think to do it is either bond the wire to the side of the existing wire with some kind of bolt or to use a insulated stranded wire for the ground and that doesn't seem correct to code to me.

Also who is the resident electrician? I may have a couple of code questions for them.
just run a wire from 1 panel to the other one they both go in the screw terminals

You're missing a bus block in your box. There should be a block of screws for the neutrals that is insulated from the box, and another block for your ground wires. You'll need to run a ground wire AND a neutral wire between the boxes.

All the sub panel boxes I've seen list the part numbers for various blocks and interlocks snd such on a sticker inside the door.

You're missing a bus block in your box. There should be a block of screws for the neutrals that is insulated from the box, and another block for your ground wires. You'll need to run a ground wire AND a neutral wire between the boxes.

All the sub panel boxes I've seen list the part numbers for various blocks and interlocks snd such on a sticker inside the door.
Wait I thought that row of screws at the top was the ground/neutral connections. I have one of those screw things i can put in.

Is your second box this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002N7MS/

I have the same box.
Right there is the thing

View attachment 206365
You can get bigger ones too if you want, the box has spots for 2 of these though
actually maybe it has 4 places for them <__<
that looks similar to the one I have. My concern is in the main panel. I can't see how to make the connection into the main panel without potentially causing havoc. I don't know if its bad for ground wires to touch before getting into the grounding bars or not. I can see why it may be bad because its akin to a loose connection. my existing main panel is a birdsnest too and I am always concerned that it will become a problem at some point.

Turn all the breakers off, run your ground through the bottom of the main panel up the left side into the bus bar.. don't touch any of the hots lol
or call your power company ask to turn off the house for an hour

then run it into the other breaker

Back