diy solar

diy solar

Thoughts on this combiner box? Very affordable, seems to have all the good stuff inside.

CTD

I was going to just fit some MC4 inline 10A fuses into my series panel arrays and then screw them all together into a circuit breaker and then just take that output into my controller, but then I saw this which is not a lot more expensive. It's $100AUD. What do you gurus think of it?

Just been searching, it appears it is this box, just cheaper. https://www.amazon.com.au/ECO-WORTH...locphy=9069265&hvtargid=pla-475795677839&th=1
It says, "Can support solar panel system up to 700W in 12V system, 1400W in 24V system ,2800W in 48V system" but if it is being fed directly into a 5Kw Growatt all-in-one then I can't see how that sentence matters. Doesn't the controller dictate what the PV array power limits are?

Last edited:
I don’t have one but this guy was having trouble with a similar fuse holder. Most things from China can only handle about half of the rated amps.

I don’t have one but this guy was having trouble with a similar fuse holder. Most things from China can only handle about half of the rated amps.

This is my concern, "you get what you pay for", but I can't really go past the price. I can't buy inline fuses and a CB for that price. I did read that post but without further info it's hard to know if it was a product issue or an actual overcurrent issue. Fuses do get hot when the current is high.

And just out of curiosity, if you are happy to share, do you have fuse/CB protection and in what format? Like I said, I was going to go with inline fuses, but this does look tasty for 100 buckaroos!

I have midnight solar combiner breaker boxes on one system and hand assembled box similar to the one in question but with breakers on another.
I actually thought that even if I have to replace the breakers, it's still not a bad box for $100. :-D

I have two Briidea combiner box similar to the linked Amazon boxes. Other than having to tighten all the connections, including the mc-4 connectors, no issues. I prefer fuses as it does not matter which way the dc current is flowing, the circuit will be broken; not always true with a directional breaker, which, because of their cheap price and rated capacity, is what a lot of people tend to use. My strings max imp is 8.4amps and I have yet to loose a 10amp fuse. Ordered some spare fuses at the same time as they don't cost much and it's easy to keep a few spares around for backup.

Reactions: CTD
I have two Briidea combiner box similar to the linked Amazon boxes. Other than having to tighten all the connections, including the mc-4 connectors, no issues. I prefer fuses as it does not matter which way the dc current is flowing, the circuit will be broken; not always true with a directional breaker, which, because of their cheap price and rated capacity, is what a lot of people tend to use. My strings max imp is 8.4amps and I have yet to loose a 10amp fuse. Ordered some spare fuses at the same time as they don't cost much and it's easy to keep a few spares around for backup.
Good to hear you are happy with your combiner box and it's working well for you. What array's are you running through it? Your combiner box info says the same thing as the one I linked, "up to 700W in 12V system, 1400W in 24V system, 2800W in 48V system". I don't understand how or why that is written as part of the information. The box doesn't determine max power rating, the controller does, doesn't it?

Good to hear you are happy with your combiner box and it's working well for you. What array's are you running through it? Your combiner box info says the same thing as the one I linked, "up to 700W in 12V system, 1400W in 24V system, 2800W in 48V system". I don't understand how or why that is written as part of the information. The box doesn't determine max power rating, the controller does, doesn't it?
700x12, 1400x24, and 2800x48 all come out to 58.3amps and the breaker is 63amps. Maybe that's what they are referring to?

I have that exact combiner box on a bunkie with 1000w of panels and a 24v inverter. It's been working fine for me for over a year now, and survived the Canadian winter fine. I still prefer the midnite solar breakers and combiner boxes (which I still use on my main cabin) but for a smaller system I find it works fine and is a great price point like you said.

I was going to just fit some MC4 inline 10A fuses into my series panel arrays and then screw them all together into a circuit breaker and then just take that output into my controller, but then I saw this which is not a lot more expensive. It's $100AUD. What do you gurus think of it?

Just been searching, it appears it is this box, just cheaper. https://www.amazon.com.au/ECO-WORTH...locphy=9069265&hvtargid=pla-475795677839&th=1
It says, "Can support solar panel system up to 700W in 12V system, 1400W in 24V system ,2800W in 48V system" but if it is being fed directly into a 5Kw Growatt all-in-one then I can't see how that sentence matters. Doesn't the controller dictate what the PV array power limits are?

I have 2 of these cheap Eco-Worthy 4-into-1 combiners on my temporary 12v battery bank system for powering my motorhome on an off-grid property. My final home system I already also have 2 of the nicer MidNite Classic DC combiners with the external red switch on the outside of them.

But for now, the Eco-Worthy ones offer a quick and dirty solution to get a convenient on/off switch, fuses, and lightning surge protector onto the solar PV run, and bridge strings together. With the MidNite Classic DC combiner I had to purchase separate lightning surge protectors and breakers.

On the Eco-Worthy combiner, I did take out the original 12a fuses in them though and put 15a fuses in instead. It seems to work fine, the breaker, fuse holders and surge arrestor don't get hot to the touch or anything. I doubt I will try to turn it off though while the charge controller is loading down the PV circuit (just in case that cheaper PUFA breaker has trouble extinguishing the arc and decides to go puffa)... My Voc is around 201v right now.

I always turn off the solar PV charging first on the Victron controller in the app, and then go out to the box and shut the breaker off. But for my purposes here it works fine to save a few bucks. Not for my future house though (I would really doubt it would pass any kind of inspection where I'm at in the USA anyways)...

On these though, I'm going to add another string onto them soon to each side.

1655082571769.jpeg

Bonus Pics:
1655095759625.jpeg

1655095956459.jpeg

Last edited:
I have 2 of these cheap Eco-Worthy 4-into-1 combiners on my temporary 12v battery bank system for powering my motorhome on an off-grid property. My final home system I already also have 2 of the nicer MidNite Classic DC combiners with the external red switch on the outside of them.

But for now, the Eco-Worthy ones offer a quick and dirty solution to get a convenient on/off switch, fuses, and lightning surge protector onto the solar PV run, and bridge strings together. With the MidNite Classic DC combiner I had to purchase separate lightning surge protectors and breakers.

On the Eco-Worthy combiner, I did take out the original 12a fuses in them though and put 15a fuses in instead. It seems to work fine, the breaker, fuse holders and surge arrestor don't get hot to the touch or anything. I doubt I will try to turn it off though while the charge controller is loading down the PV circuit (just in case that cheaper PUFA breaker has trouble extinguishing the arc and decides to go puffa)... My Voc is around 201v right now.

I always turn off the solar PV charging first on the Victron controller in the app, and then go out to the box and shut the breaker off. But for my purposes here it works fine to save a few bucks. Not for my future house though (I would really doubt it would pass any kind of inspection where I'm at in the USA anyways)...

On these though, I'm going to add another string onto them soon to each side.

View attachment 98348

Bonus Pics:
View attachment 98373

View attachment 98378
Thanks Samsonite801, good write up. Cheers.

but then I saw this which is not a lot more expensive
Same box I used. Not a lot of pre-made combiner box options here and checking all the wiring it was fine. I actually have another unopened in box in case I want another.

I have a 2.22 kW array in a 2S3P configuration of Longi 370 W panels (my AIO inverter has a 105 V input limit).

oBkuY2U.jpg
z92VClb.jpg

If I upgrade to a new inverter with a 145 V limit I'll change the panels to a 3SxP arrangement which for this array makes the box a bit redundant but I would hope to double the array size as well.

And just out of curiosity, if you are happy to share, do you have fuse/CB protection and in what format? Like I said, I was going to go with inline fuses, but this does look tasty for 100 buckaroos!
It’s generally better to find what you NEED and then figure how to pay for it than to FIND a price you like and hope the item works ..
that’s been my experience with about everything since the 60’s …. and it seems to be especially true since China has taken the world stage in so much of what we buy…

Back