diy solar

diy solar

Three Phase Air Con Driven by Single Phase Inverter Using 1 to 3phase VFD

DanBo

I see a post re "Benefits of Three Phase AC Pumps for Solar Water Pumping". In that post, a VFD (variable frequency drive) unit is used to generate three phase 230V AC from a single phase supply. The single phase supply being from a single inverter. Just thinking out loud here, but I have a couple of three phase air-con units. Anyone used a 1 Ph to 3Ph VFD to drive a 3Ph aircon unit? Maybe already covered, and my apologies if there is already a thread on this. I'm not sure how practical it would be as mostly I use the air-con at night and for sure the reason they are 3Ph is because they are fairly high wattage... just enquiring at this stage... Thanks!!

A 1 phase to 3 Phase VFD controlled motor is just an efficient way to have better motor control, like for soft starting, variable speed or whatever. The VFD can adjust motor speed by varying frequency and whatnot.

Here is a simple example of my smallest VFD controlled 3-phase motor (well, it has a DC input to the VFD, but 3-phase AC output, variable frequency):
https://makermotor.com/pn00110-12-1...ble-speed-reversible-with-soft-start-feature/ (made for hobby type projects)

They have industrial sizes as well. The VFD just has to be sized of course to handle the amperage load that the motor will draw from it or of course you'll blow it out.

Last edited:
I use VFD's for several of my machines you will have trouble locating a VFD for motors over 7 HP single-phase input, 3 HP no problem.

Back