diy solar

diy solar

To float or rest?

Cushie

Hi, slightly different question the those already asked.
I have installed in my motorhome a 105Ah LifePo4 with BMS, charged from an MPPT solar charger ( Spark). Can you comment on the charging situation from the solar panels after reaching full charge capacity I decided to switch off the solar charging using the Charge Controller App. Thus allowing the battery to rest until my next discharge day in a couple of weeks. I thought this was better than having a daily 13.6 float charge from the solar controller during periods of non use in summer months particularly. (Peak charge 14.4V). Alternatively does the BMS take over and reduce the Float in any case?
I would appreciate your comments.

The BMS does not control charging, it only acts as a disconnect switch when perameters are exceeded, it cannot alter float charge volts.
For a short period with no load on the battery disable charging should be OK.
Alternatively, (I do this in my RV due to small loads on the battery), for the period the vehicle is not in use set the absorbtion, boost, volts and float volts to a lower value than battery rest volts , example absorbtion 13.20 volts, float 13.15 volts. This keeps the battery in the 70% range SOC.

Mike

Thanks for your comments Mike.
"For a short period with no load on the battery disable charging should be OK."
Would you consider a few weeks in summer to be a short time? I know when connecting solar you are advised to connect the battery first, so I wondered if the app disconnect may somehow be a similar consideration? Perhaps to protect the controller?

Back