diy solar

diy solar

Total beginner! Are these three items enough for my basic system?

bbruneau

I have two panels (Kyocera KU265-6MCA) that give more than 500Watts of power at 24 Volts. I want to build a small emergency system that maximizes these panels and expect to "make do" with their output. I believe (perhaps stupidly) that the following two items can be the main part of my system, needing only wires, fuses, etc. Also, for a small system should I go 12V?

- ECO-WORTHY All-in-one Solar Charger Inverter Built in 3000W 24V Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter and 50A Solar Controller for Off-Grid System $365

- 12V 300Ah LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery, Built-in 190A BMS, 2000-5000 Cycles, Perfect for RV, Caravan, Solar, Marine, Home Storage and Off-Grid
Brand: CHINS 4.6 out of 5 stars 104 ratings | 190 answered questions Price: $1,249.99
Going with this because we are not big on upkeep, and want to keep the setup as automatic as possible.

I am such a beginner! and expect such calumny to elicit some laughs and (hopefully) educational advice

On the literal “will this work” scale it will make electricity… you’ll need two of those batteries for 24v.

If 3000W is rarely if ever used, a 12V system would probably be fine imho. I like small 12V systems because 12V lights and other electrical items are cheaply and readily available.

Personally, I’d use a separate charge controller and inverter rather than a combo unit. The price is “right” in the range of separate components, but if something goes wrong you will both not have charging and not have 120V out; if one of the separate components fails local and/or quick solutions are more attainable. A backup spare inverter is wise imho if having power is critical.

What are the appliances you wish to “make do” with, and their watt ratings? Better, how long is each item going to be needed st their watt ratings? There’s a lot you can do with 500W of solar but is it enough for your goals? That’s what’s needed for the question to be answered.

Your cost for the 24V version (which you would need rather than the 12V version) would $1969+tax...thats for 24V, 200Ah.
If you are buying two of the 12v, 300Ah versions to make your own 24V battery pack thats $2400+tax.

this site says they will beat any other US price if you want that battery pack: https://bigbossbattery.com/chins/

Your cost if you DIY your own 24V 280Ah battery pack would be half that, just an fyi...

the charge controller you have selected is a PWM model (from web page: solar charge mode PWM), NOT a good idea...if you want to get the most out of your panels you want an MPPT solar charge controller.

Lets take a step or two back, before you spend significant amounts of money on equipment.

1. What sort of appliances do you need to keep running during an outage? And for how long without recharging?
    Bare minimum (fridge, freezer, some lights), or more amenities like a router and TV on top?
    I assume you are prepared to run some extension cables and such to get power to where you want it, since you didn't mention an ATS
  2. Can you mount those panels somewhere permanently with good sun conditions?
  3. How big is your budget? And how much of it do you actually want to spend on this?
    E.g. for the bare minimum with 500W of solar panels you can do 24V/200Ah lead acid with a 20A MPPT controller and a 1000W pure sine wave inverter to keep your freezer and fridge alive.

Back