diy solar

diy solar

Towable 3,200 Watt Solar Generator

Robtherod

8000 watt surge Solar generator

(4,000 watts continuous).

12- solar panels = 3.2 kWh mounted on a tandem trailer that outputs 105 volts dc they are connected to a 80 amp mppt charge controller that charges 400 lithium battery cells, the batteries are connected to a 4000 watt 8000 surge pure sine wave 115 volt inverter. All the electronics are inside a trailer mounted box. There are 4- receptacle output plugs mounted on the outside of the box. This setup would be great for camping or towed behind a motor home and supply power without running a gas generator and the noise level is virtually gone other then small cooling fans on the charge controller & inverter. The glass on the solar panels are shattered but they still seem to be water proof they been working during rain without any problems. As long as you have direct sun light the solar generator will make enough energy to power anything up to 3,200 watts without draining the batteries. For instance it can power a 6,000 btu rv air conditioner in peak of the day.
3,200 watts of lithium battery storage at night will run lights, refrigerator, microwave, tv & computer. You could run an air conditioner at night but it wouldn’t last that long, but it would if I added more batteries. Lithium cells are so much better than deep cycle acid batteries, they can be discharged to 80% of there capacity compared to only 50% for acid. This system could be used for powering a cabin or a house and you wouldn’t need any permits because everything is on a trailer and not mounted on the roof of your house. I once had the garden hose water on the panels while running an table saw & air compressor without any shorts. The batteries are 36 volt hoverboard packs.

Attachments

• 43CEC82F-21AD-48EF-A963-8359A9AEC4FF.png
    43CEC82F-21AD-48EF-A963-8359A9AEC4FF.png
    587.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 6786A680-9A5D-4292-8FF1-D028440CCCCC.png
    6786A680-9A5D-4292-8FF1-D028440CCCCC.png
    555 KB · Views: 62
  • CE5637B2-42FF-4A02-A281-328CDDBAC16E.jpeg
    CE5637B2-42FF-4A02-A281-328CDDBAC16E.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 19919BF5-AD4B-46FC-98E9-3D871FC5B157.jpeg
    19919BF5-AD4B-46FC-98E9-3D871FC5B157.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 641CC323-0B6C-4958-8244-FA64CED1A67B.jpeg
    641CC323-0B6C-4958-8244-FA64CED1A67B.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 58
This is just show and tell. I am always working on different projects from solar to engine rebuilding. I picked up a bunch of shattered solar panels and just started messing around with them. I still have another 15 to play with.

This is just show and tell. I am always working on different projects from solar to engine rebuilding. I picked up a bunch of shattered solar panels and just started messing around with them. I still have another 15 to play with.

Do you think that dual axle trailer is up to the task of carrying a dozen solar panels?

Seriously though that fold out wing thing you have going on is nice!

I have some very strong straps that keep the panels down when traveling. Thanks for the compliment.

That's really cool. Crossed my mind it would make a fun project to build something like this but my property is just too small, I would not have room to build it or store it. Wonder if there would be any market for renting out something like this. Could be cool for summer events and what not. Have a plug for a generator so the event can continue on at night, but in summer it only gets dark after 10pm so the batteries would probably be ok till midnight depending on what it's running.

Would be awesome to automate the panel expanding like in Kerbal Space Program. Imagine showing up and press a button and all the panels fold out. :D

When I was putting it together I thought about building them and selling them and improving on them as they would sell. Automatically open & close panels would be cool but would also increase the cost. Right now it’s simple to unfold them and I have aluminum rods that go into slots for holding there weight and store in the trailer box.

8000 watt surge Solar generator

(4,000 watts continuous).

12- solar panels = 3.2 kWh mounted on a tandem trailer that outputs 105 volts dc they are connected to a 80 amp mppt charge controller that charges 400 lithium battery cells, the batteries are connected to a 4000 watt 8000 surge pure sine wave 115 volt inverter. All the electronics are inside a trailer mounted box. There are 4- receptacle output plugs mounted on the outside of the box. This setup would be great for camping or towed behind a motor home and supply power without running a gas generator and the noise level is virtually gone other then small cooling fans on the charge controller & inverter. The glass on the solar panels are shattered but they still seem to be water proof they been working during rain without any problems. As long as you have direct sun light the solar generator will make enough energy to power anything up to 3,200 watts without draining the batteries. For instance it can power a 6,000 btu rv air conditioner in peak of the day.
3,200 watts of lithium battery storage at night will run lights, refrigerator, microwave, tv & computer. You could run an air conditioner at night but it wouldn’t last that long, but it would if I added more batteries. Lithium cells are so much better than deep cycle acid batteries, they can be discharged to 80% of there capacity compared to only 50% for acid. This system could be used for powering a cabin or a house and you wouldn’t need any permits because everything is on a trailer and not mounted on the roof of your house. I once had the garden hose water on the panels while running an table saw & air compressor without any shorts. The batteries are 36 volt hoverboard packs.
You are very resourceful, great job. PS: I love hover boards.
1582501583940.png

Back