diy solar

diy solar

Toyota Announces EV Battery Breakthrough

Samsonite801

Solar Wizard
Seems there is some new info out about a Toyota EV battery breakthrough, related to solid state battery tech.

Today's article:

More articles:

I wonder what will come of it, and how long before we hear more about it... Perhaps would be years before we see it filter down into the residential solar market.

They are citing in the article:
"...now has enough confidence to mass-produce solid-state batteries in EVs by 2027 or 2028."

>Solid-state batteries require significantly more lithium than current-gen batteries

Not for us in the low cost market then I guess.

I think the land cruiser is going to sell like hotcakes, and Toyota's customers aren't going anywhere.

I guess time will tell and we will see. I'm glad to learn there is lots of other competition though. I'm not for or against anyone or anything, we'll see what comes down the pipe at whatever point is appropriate...

I happen to like my hybrid Prius because it has proven to be the most reliable house generator I've ever used, beat my Onans by far, this thing just keeps running, and doesn't even struggle charging house batteries for hours and hours at a time, all while being super quiet.

And I always told myself I would never buy a full EV car unless they got the range up to be able to make long road trips without stopping. SS tech might be the key in that, but if it never gets here, I'll just wait, I'm not in a hurry. I was planning to wait until SS EV cars became old, so I could buy one used and get a better price anyways.

And to date, Toyota is going nowhere with Hydrogen. They make great hybrids.
I think (without Google searching) they are doing ok with it in Japan. It may be that we want to start separating what energy sources make most sense in each country. I.e. ethanol in Brazil where they have a massive sugar cane supply. Hydrogen in Japan where they have a ton of nuclear and a ton more of nuclear yet to go back online to create cheaper electricity (and cheaper hydrogen) and a small country in which to distribute it.

Europe is f&#ked until they make nice with Russia and patch those gas lines and/or sh!t can their greenies and build nuclear.

Or let the Malthusians win which seems more and more likely.

Pure battery power? That's gonna take some Star Wars/Star Trek level sh!t in certain areas. Farming, construction, ocean shipping, and air being the biggest and possibly rail (although I could see them switching out engines, especially if they were able to automate this). I can see hydrogen make more sense here. Either in combustion chambers or as a fuel cell.

Last edited:

japan and hydrogen connected with ammonia and carbon

japan and hydrogen connected with ammonia and carbon
You know they shuttered their nuke plants right? And are just now bringing some of them back online, right? Or am I dealing with an activist and just waisting my breath?

People talk about grid infrastucture needed for EV’s.
I 100% agree, little by little we can get there.

Ok… and hydrogen infrastructure would be easier?

Planes, trains, and possibly automobiles (as a offshoot of infrastructure). Construction equipment, farming equipment, and shipping. No way are we going to power heavy vehicles with batteries short of a free energy device.

From what I have read the solid state and semi-solid state have close to the same capacity as LI but as safe as LFP.

I got offered to review a semi solid state power station and hoping it lives up to the hype.

Back