diy solar

diy solar

trailer array - PV wiring to structure

CableGuy

I am considering utilizing the roof of our box trailer to mount 6 panels, 370w each all in series. considering the inverter and batteries will NOT be in the trailer, wiring from the trailer would be the PV direct to the structure roughly 210 vdc 11amps. I don't love the idea of connecting/disconnecting 3 separate conductors and connectors every time we need to use the trailer. Any recommendations for a twist lock 3 conductor DC solution, similar to AC solutions for RV or boats? I want the cable to disconnect from both trailer and structure wall, obviously with trailer having female outlet and structure having male. I don't need the cable ends to be prefab but would prefer.

I did search but all the trailer threads I could find discuss AC connections from trailer to structure, not DC, or they simply use MC4 or similar.

thanks

Search 3 pin Anderson connector

You might be able to find a 30a version that is smaller. You might even be able to find a pannel mount version.

Search 3 pin Anderson connector

You might be able to find a 30a version that is smaller. You might even be able to find a pannel mount version.
That is a great connector to keep in my parts list, thank you. For this I am looking for something 3 conductor (in a cable) and outdoor. This seems too exposed for outdoor.

What I am finding is intended for AC and is not calling out any ratings for DC that I can see.

What are thoughts on using receptacles typically used for AC? It's only me that will have access, both receptacles will be atleast 6ft from ground level, and this is temporary as exterior wall will be destroyed in 2 years. No risk of anyone else down the road getting confused.

The selection of outdoor AC recpacles and prefab cables for RV/generators/marine applications is so appealing and totally solves the weather issue. (Spring loaded weather tight covers, clean looking when disconnected, etc)

Looking for someone to talk me out of it, factoring in what I said above.

I just realized this website somehow disables the spell check thats built into my phone or the web browser. Not sure which! Wow

Maybe something here will help.

i was focusing on things with a built in spring loaded covers, but I suppose a screw on cap is sufficient, using a receptacle where I provide the enclosure. there's tons of things on Digikey also for that route.

thanks

MFG_23003535-02.jpg

Last edited:
Back