diy solar

diy solar

Trisar TS-60 PWM am I wrong ?

Chispas

I'm in the process of thinking about our next system & have come up with some ideas about priorities. Longevity and durability are top of the list for me and then budget, although this doesn't need to be a low cost set up, I just don't want to throw money at problems. I'm looking at around, 2000W of panels 24V in series and the Morningstar TriStar TS-60 PWM. Our needs are small, we currently have 460 W of 12V & we ran our genny for charging about 4 or 5 hours last winter. We want to add a fridge/freezer that's rated at .0500 Kwh a day. The weather here is a mix of continental & Mediterranean, hot summers and cold, clear winters, although this is changing. We have the panels on the roof of an outbuilding - a almost flat roof with a rack atttched - & battery etc. inside, so it exposed to temperature changes, although it doesn't see extremes inside there. Because of this I'm thinking about the Morningstar TS , a unit with a reputation for robustness, a working temperature range of -40c to +60 c. So why a PWM unit instead of a MPPT ? Price - the PWM is on offer for €279 & the MPPT is €854 Am i wrong about this ? is it worth spending 3 x as much for small gains ? At the moment we have a %20 DOD on average, in a cycle & plan to size the battery bank for the new system the same. Our backup is usually run when the battery is at %50 discharged.

I'm looking at around, 2000W of panels 24V in series and the Morningstar TriStar TS-60 PWM
What is the system voltage, and what batteries?
Do you mean 24 volt panels in series?
Whatever battery type you have, PWM won't help long service life and could seriously reduce panel yield.

If its a 24 volt system the Victron 150 / 70 MPPT is €460 in Spain.

diy solar

diy solar
Back