diy solar

diy solar

Truck camper set up with existing equipment DIY

adamlyost

I am very new to solar, and I was hoping for some advice.

I have a limited budget, but I'd love to get a solar set up for my truck camper. I do know it has wiring for the lights and refrigerator to run on 12v already. I'd love to still use the power inverter that came with the camper.

I wouldn't necessarily want to run the refrigerator on the 12v system, just the 2 lights and 2 outlets. I'd mostly want to be able to just charge phones and run a baby monitor. It's a 1983 Palomino, so it's a very basic set up. My lofty goal would be to run a very small electric heater, but I know that would really add a lot of voltage/wattage.

Any advice on what I could do? I've looked into a jackery type generator but that seems like a very expensive option. I am attaching a photo of the power inverter for reference.

1000003527.jpg

I'd recommend looking at the "DIY Solar Products and System Schematics" at the top of the page, look at the schematics, and perhaps click the Basic 12 Volt System.

That power converter is only going to provide 120v when you're plugged into shore power, you'll need some kind of inverter involved.

I had a bit more budget to work with when I pimped my pop-up, but it might give you some ideas. I replaced my converter with a breaker box and installed an AIO so I have 120v and 12v all the time, plus charging via shore power. As long as you don't try to run a heater, you could use a MPP 1012 to keep your existing 12v system, pull the converter out completely, and wire in the AIO between the shore power cord and the AC outlet of the converter. You can throw a couple used panels on the roof and into the AIO to charge in the field.

As for the heater, if you don't have a propane heater in there, look at diesel heaters. They run on 12v, sip power and fuel, and will cook you out of there even on low in the snow. Get the kit, NOT the prebuilts so you can get the best install available. I can send you a cleaning guide I wrote up, I have 3 in service at my camp and built a stand alone portable for those winter power outages. I'm a diesel heater whore and I like it. 😉

100ah LFP batteries are cheaper to buy nowadays, but if you are stressing about physical footprint then going the DIY route can get you about 300ah battery in the Noco DC31 battery boxes with BMS. Some LF280's and a JBD BMS and you've got battery for days for about $500. Doesn't need to happen right away, but you can expand to it later.

Back