diy solar

diy solar

Truck Camper - 12v vs 48v?

Man this is a lot to think about for sure!

I have a friend that did a 12-24v 10k btu treeligo air conditioner. He has x2 400ah 12v EG4s and said his ac will run for about 10 hours on low and use 50% of his battery.

Do you have electric camper jacks? If so it is not easy to find a 48/12 to run them. 30 amps is not quite enough to run the jacks. its not hard to find a 24/12 volts 70 amp or 45 amp unit to run the jack. I purchased a 70 amp converter to run my jacks and a seperate 25 amp to run the furnace and lights.
Yes we do have some of the heavy duty happi's. I wasn't even thinking about these

I have a friend that did a 12-24v 10k btu treeligo air conditioner. He has x2 400ah 12v EG4s and said his ac will run for about 10 hours on low and use 50% of his battery.
Have you looked into the roof mount heat pumps from Dometic and such? Pricey, but direct replacement with no wiring. I'm not sure of their seer ratings, but I understand they are basically a minisplit for an rv roof.

9600 Wh and only 10 hours.

I plan on running my mini split longer than 10 hours with 6000Wh. It comes down to COP and SEER.

9600 Wh and only 10 hours.

I plan on running my mini split longer than 10 hours with 6000Wh. It comes down to COP and SEER.
Is your outside unit horizontal, mounted on the bumper? Trying to find one that the outdoor unit can mount flat on the roof. It is unfortunate that some of the 12/24 units are not very efficient yet. Ill probably live with a less efficient unit myself, banking on the bigfoot camper insulation making up for some of it.

Watch the inverter efficiency very closely - you will probably want a low frequency inverter. I have a MotorHome with a Victron 12/3000 inverter. It can run any one large item at once - microwave or Air conditioner.

I have a RV air conditioner (mini-splits will run better), with my 12v 544ah battery- I can run the A/C for about an hour, then I either need to turn it off or start the generator (otherwise the battery will get to low to run through the night).

As you go up in voltage the wires get smaller, and the running efficiency gets slightly better.

Good Luck

Is your outside unit horizontal, mounted on the bumper? Trying to find one that the outdoor unit can mount flat on the roof. It is unfortunate that some of the 12/24 units are not very efficient yet. Ill probably live with a less efficient unit myself, banking on the bigfoot camper insulation making up for some of it.
Mounted on rear of camper. I'm currently making slow progress but will have it done before summer. Used a 9K BTU Senville Leto that is 120V.

Last edited:
Mounte on rear of camper. I'm currently making slow progress but will have it done before summer. Used a 9K BTU Senville Leto that is 120V.
Should be a great set up when done!

Back