diy solar

diy solar

Trying to understand hybrid inverters like sungold power 10k

Chadunca

Im am trying to find an inverter that will hook straight into my main panel. I would like to feed the grid but isnt an absolute need. Im looking at this currently. Will this work? Do you have other suggestions that would be better? I keep running into current limitations as well on some of these inverters. Alot of them are only rated for 15 or 13 amps coming in.... New guy here and thank you for any help

i have 14K of panels at max output

Watts - 655
VMP = 38.1
VOC = 45.2
isc -= 18.43
imp = 17.2

I'm still relatively new, but my first question about feeding the grid -- do you have or plan to get an interconnect / net meter agreement? Without that, you absolutely cannot legally/safely feed the grid.

Maybe this is because I think better in terms of pieces, but you want to think about how your load centers are structured. If the output of your inverter is wired right into your main panel, the grid mains would need to be off, or I believe you'd be creating a loop that would likely damage your inverter.

I'll stop there as I don't want to give you bad advice, but I'd strongly suggest more research and reading. As far as an inverter, any hybrid/grid interactive inverter can likely do what you want. Have you looked at your power consumption? Peak demand? The Sungold is a rebranded/rebadged SRNE. Several forum members have SRNE's, a couple have the SGPs -- solid units from what I can tell.

Im am trying to find an inverter that will hook straight into my main panel.
Whole House back-up via the main breaker panel requires that the Inverter is installed between the utility meter and the main breaker. Utility power feeds into the inverter at the AC input terminals and feeds the main panel from the AC Output terminals.
I would like to feed the grid but isnt an absolute need.
This requires a UL1741SB Compliant, grid interactive inverter. I believe the SunGold model shown is an Off-Grid type. This means that it can use utility power in a pass-through mode only (and charge batteries) unidirectional. While the specifications for the SG inverter show as UL1741 Listed, that is IMO misleading. Its like saying a swimming pool is in compliance with drowning safety standards because you don't have a pool at all. An Off-Grid inverter doesn't have the capability to sync with the grid or perform sell-back thus in a sense is compliant with anti-islanding requirements due its lack of grid-interactive features.
Im looking at this currently. Will this work?
Yes, this inverter potentially could work for main panel back up. However, since its in front of the main breaker the amount of current available is limited to the 63A pass-through rating thus derating your main panel.
Do you have other suggestions that would be better? I keep running into current limitations as well on some of these inverters. Alot of them are only rated for 15 or 13 amps coming in....
You are referring to the PV input current? Currrent is limited but up to 500V DC is permissible thus the unit can have up to 11,000Watts of PV attached if both MPPT inputs are utilized.
Watts - 655
VMP = 38.1
VOC = 45.2
isc -= 18.43
imp = 17.2
45.2V x 9 panels in series = 406.8V, Current would be EDIT:17.2A which is well below the 22A max stated in the Specs.

How many Watts of PV do you need?

Whole House back-up via the main breaker panel requires that the Inverter is installed between the utility meter and the main breaker. Utility power feeds into the inverter at the AC input terminals and feeds the main panel from the AC Output terminals.

This requires a UL1741SB Compliant, grid interactive inverter. I believe the SunGold model shown is an Off-Grid type. This means that it can use utility power in a pass-through mode only (and charge batteries) unidirectional. While the specifications for the SG inverter show as UL1741 Listed, that is IMO misleading. Its like saying a swimming pool is in compliance with drowning safety standards because you don't have a pool at all. An Off-Grid inverter doesn't have the capability to sync with the grid or perform sell-back thus in a sense is compliant with anti-islanding requirements due its lack of grid-interactive features.

Yes, this inverter potentially could work for main panel back up. However, since its in front of the main breaker the amount of current available is limited to the 63A pass-through rating thus derating your main panel.

You are referring to the PV input current? Currrent is limited but up to 500V DC is permissible thus the unit can have up to 11,000Watts of PV attached if both MPPT inputs are utilized.

45.2V x 9 panels in series = 406.8V, Current would be EDIT:17.2A which is well below the 22A max stated in the Specs.

How many Watts of PV do you need?
Im looking for a budget friendly grid tie that can take 18 amps? any thoughts ? the gro watt cant take the amps looking for other budget friendly versions ?

Im looking for a budget friendly grid tie
Terminology is important:
Grid-tie is a completely different type of system. DC from the PV panels is inverted to AC and injected into the breaker panel either with a string inverter or microinverters. There is no battery back up and grid-tie systems shut down in an outage.

Off-grid inverters, like the Growatt use solar and or battery power and invert to AC on the Load Output terminals and Utility power is blocked when the inverter is active. There is an option to use utility power if its connected to the AC Input terminals BUT the inverter function is turned off at this time and utility power simply passes through and can charge batteries if desired.

Hybrid inverters are basically a combination of the above 2 descriptions.
that can take 18 amps?
Sorry, no idea what is being asked. 18Amps AC or DC? Where do you want the 18A to come from, where is it going?

Terminology is important:
Grid-tie is a completely different type of system. DC from the PV panels is inverted to AC and injected into the breaker panel either with a string inverter or microinverters. There is no battery back up and grid-tie systems shut down in an outage.

Off-grid inverters, like the Growatt use solar and or battery power and invert to AC on the Load Output terminals and Utility power is blocked when the inverter is active. There is an option to use utility power if its connected to the AC Input terminals BUT the inverter function is turned off at this time and utility power simply passes through and can charge batteries if desired.

Hybrid inverters are basically a combination of the above 2 descriptions.

Sorry, no idea what is being asked. 18Amps AC or DC? Where do you want the 18A to come from, where is it going?

The panels create 18 amps at full power. so im guessing whatever system i need has to accept that many amps

My goal is to have two strings of panels, 12 panels per string

I would like to be grid tied as i dont want a different sub panel that i have to switch back and forth from. does a hybrid inverter wire directly into the main? giving all its power to shave the power needed from the grid ?

The panels create 18 amps at full power. so im guessing whatever system i need has to accept that many amps.
Seems like we are trying to hit a moving target, The specs on the 10kW Growatt indicate it can take up to 22A per MPPT input so the amps issue is asked and answered. That said, the Growatt is not a grid-tie inverter so not sure why it was being considered at all.
My goal is to have two strings of panels, 12 panels per string
Voc @25C of 12 panels in series based on your Original Post would be 45.2V x 12 = 542V This MAY work on a 600V charge controller but the Voc would have to be recalculated for the coldest winter temp in your geographic area. 600V charge controllers are available but would not be in the budget category at all.
I would like to be grid tied as i dont want a different sub panel that i have to switch back and forth from. does a hybrid inverter wire directly into the main? giving all its power to shave the power needed from the grid ?
Asking again, do you really mean Grid-Tied or actually Hybrid, do you want battery back up with the ability to use utility power when solar and batteries are insufficient. Are you looking to sell back to the utility company? If so, have you looked into the NET metering agreement offered by the power company.

A hybrid inverter can be wired directly into the main panel or a critical loads panel can be installed. If connected to the main panel, whole home back up is available but that requires a substantially larger inverter and rewiring the main panel so the inverter is between the utility meter and the main breaker.

i would really like to be grid tied but if those inverters are to much i would also consider the hybrid. Trying to get a couple good options and compare the price

This is the growatt im looking at currently. I was told it was a grid tie ?? let me know your thoughts as well if you can and thank you for the help

Im am trying to find an inverter that will hook straight into my main panel. I would like to feed the grid but isnt an absolute need. Im looking at this currently. Will this work? Do you have other suggestions that would be better? I keep running into current limitations as well on some of these inverters. Alot of them are only rated for 15 or 13 amps coming in.... New guy here and thank you for any help

i have 14K of panels at max output

Watts - 655
VMP = 38.1
VOC = 45.2
isc -= 18.43
imp = 17.2
I've got that one powering my house now and it will do what your wanting.

Each of that model of inverter will handle 63 amps incoming to it and it can be paralleled up to 6 of them so it can handle 60kw with 6 units for 378amps.

I've got that one powering my house now and it will do what your wanting.

Each of that model of inverter will handle 63 amps incoming to it and it can be paralleled up to 6 of them so it can handle 60kw with 6 units for 378amps.
How do you have it wired ? for it to work does the power have to pass through the inverter or does the inverter just supply the power its producing to the main panel

How do you have it wired ? for it to work does the power have to pass through the inverter or does the inverter just supply the power its producing to the main panel
There are several ways to wire it such as

Grid > inverter > main box

My setup is like this :

Grid > main box > inverter > sub panel

I went with this approach so I could add circuits to the solar setup over time since the first inverter I had on it was just 6kw and it couldn't run everything.

Also some things like the water heater, the dryer and the stove were things I never planned on putting on the solar stuff.

There are several ways to wire it such as

Grid > inverter > main box

My setup is like this :

Grid > main box > inverter > sub panel

I went with this approach so I could add circuits to the solar setup over time since the first inverter I had on it was just 6kw and it couldn't run everything.

Also some things like the water heater, the dryer and the stove were things I never planned on putting on the solar stuff.
so your inverter just supplies the sub panel and doesnt put any power into the main panel ?

It can but I don't backfeed.
Does the grid have to go through the inverter for the inverter to supplement the solar power ? This would limit the grid power to the rated amps of the inverter. Not an option for me. Or can the inverter just backfeed the main panel and use the grid if there isnt enough power ?

If you want to run the main panel it needs to go thru the inverter. If the draw is too great you run multiple inverters in parallel.

Grid > mini panel > inverters in parallel > main panel

I would personally do it this way :

Grid > mini panel > inverters in parallel > mini panel > main panel

If you do it the first way your using up slots in the main panel to connect the inverters.

My method combines the inverter outputs in a mini panel and then has one feed going into the main just like the grid used to do.

Ok so if i follow this correctly. This means even with just one inverter the grid can still supply the main panel with 200 amps?

The main panel to the inverter then back to the main panel will give the main panel the solar power reducing the need for the grid power correct ?

Ok so if i follow this correctly. This means even with just one inverter the grid can still supply the main panel with 200 amps?

The main panel to the inverter then back to the main panel will give the main panel the solar power reducing the need for the grid power correct ?
No.

You can't pass thru more than 63 amps on a single one of these inverters. You would need 4 of them to pass thru 200 amps.

To use the one and add more over time you do it this way :

Grid > main panel > inverter > sub panel for what you want to move to solar right now up to 10kw aka 63 amps.

diy solar

diy solar
Back