diy solar

diy solar

Tuya Smart Switch for solar pool pump

Timothy

I am looking for a way to remotely turn the solar pool pump on/off. The mppt pump controller is connected to 4 460W solar panels (around 80V). I have a couple of Tuya Smart Switches for AC applications, but can't find any suitable for DC. Does anyone know if the AC ones would work for DC or if there is another solution?

DC switching is a whole different level of design requirement. Never switch DC with an AC rated device. It's dangerous. DC switching can readily arc and weld an inadequately design switch shut.

Find an appropriate DC relay/breaker. I don't have a specific suggestion.

Finding DC Smart Breakers is easier said than done. The closest I came across is:

It's rated for 80V and the seller is not all that helpful.

I am using 4 Peimar 460W panels. VOC per panel is 49.85V and they are configured 2 in series and then parallel, so total VOC is just about 100V. Therefore I am not too sure if 80V is enough. As I don't really know, I'd appreciate some expert opinion.

I am looking for a way to remotely turn the solar pool pump on/off. The mppt pump controller is connected to 4 460W solar panels (around 80V). I have a couple of Tuya Smart Switches for AC applications, but can't find any suitable for DC. Does anyone know if the AC ones would work for DC or if there is another solution?
Why kill power on the DC side? Why not just get some batteries to store the power when you can and not running pump, just use AC switch for the pump?

Back