diy solar

diy solar

Solar Pool Pump is Rocking and Rolling

Lighthouse Beacon

Following the Light
Got the Vevor 72v 900w DC Pool pump off eBay for $350. Came in yesterday and I had just enough time to test it on just 3X 330watt 35v panels in series, moving water pretty good! If this thing lasts it's going to pay for itself quickly considering the cash I throw at the utility company to spin by old 1.5horse pool pump. I havent put the pool pump or heater on my 10kw solar inverter/house inverter based on the inductive load it was putting on my unit. We'll see how this strategy goes.. I had 4 panels against my house on the carport array that were not in use due to shading but it seems to be plenty spinning this dc motor.

Last edited:
Very distinct possibility I will end up with one of those running my pool. Will be following along with interest.

One of these probably would have been my first solar project if they were this cheap 3 years ago. More like $749 back then.

Instead I changed from a 1.5HP to a 3/4HP and now I don't think I'd bother. Pump only draws like 500w.

One of these probably would have been my first solar project if they were this cheap 3 years ago. More like $749 back then.

Instead I changed from a 1.5HP to a 3/4HP and now I don't think I'd bother. Pump only draws like 500w.
I’d theorized this as well, was on the fence about it. I am keeping both AC and DC pumps available with check valves. I’m done with plumbing now about to start up the DC pump, AC can always still be used as a booster for cleaning or fallback. I will say I’m extremely impressed with how quiet this brushless DC motor isE8753D0F-1B8E-457F-A5C4-BA0D8B636DBC.jpeg

Back