diy solar

diy solar

[UK] Are there any G98/G99-compliant "cloud"-free microinverters?

solartist

As mentioned in my main thread, I am seeking a solar solution in England that does not require the use of proprietary (non-FOSS) software: not locally (smartphone app, etc) nor server-side ("cloud").

However, microinverters would be a good fit for my situation, because I want to end up with panels on at least:
  • front roof slope (which has shading from neighbour's chimneys for part of the day)
  • rear roof slope (ditto)
  • rear wall of house (typically not shaded, unless neighbour builds an extension), but obviously different shape to rear roof slope and would likely require different panels
  • outbuilding (still at design stage - not sure of final roof size/orientation).

With a conventional inverter, this will require at least 4 strings and probably some Tigo optimisers. If I go with that approach, then it reduces future flexibility.

Microinverters offer more flexibility for PV panel installation. Unfortunately, though, all the UK G98/G99 compliant options seem to require proprietary cloud connectivity :(
  • Enphase microinverters seem to require the presence of an Envoy gateway connected to Enphase's cloud monitoring. (n)
  • Hoymiles microinverters might be technically capable of running without cloud connectivity? But according to Midsummer, "All Hoymiles installations must be installed with a DTU monitoring device for G98 compliance. Hoymiles need to be notified once online so that firmware upgrades can be carried out remotely." The DTU device is an internet-connected gateway to the Hoymiles cloud. (n)
  • TSun microinverters claim G98 compliance, but the user manual shows they require a proprietary smartphone app. (n)
This leads me to ask: are there any microinverter systems that are G98 & G99 compliant without needing an ongoing connection to a proprietary "cloud" service or a proprietary app?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I think you can use Hoymiles Microinverter with opensource OpenDTU Datalogger unit. The unit is based on free software an ESP32 Microcontroller. So you have a solution without the Cloud of the Manufacture.

There a many TSUN Models thats OEM products from Hoymiles, they should work with OpenDTU. There is a compability table.

We build a zero export soltion for the OpenDTU unit:

Last edited:
Back