diy solar

diy solar

(UK) Can one safely use a stream on your land for drinking water also what about rainwater?

When I first 'land' on my new land what is the easiest solution to get off the ground?
Depends how you land. Is it Outward Bound, just yourself and a book of matches dropped off in the middle of nowhere, or Robinson Crusoe with every single thing you need just around the bend? Drive an RV in or hike in?

I'm thinking with all the scientific facts / nonsense aside The best plan is to have the water tested. I have access to a well at camp but it's still good to know. A rainwater collection system would work but I wouldn't use it for drinking water personally. Probably matters to a degree but regardless if your in the woods or not there's always some contaminates to think about. If your source water is good & maybe just a little dirty then a good ceramic - carbon filter system might be the ticket. That could also depend on the amount of water you'll use in a day or week. And how much you plan to store.
You can spend serious coin or build one. I chose to build one using two 5 gal buckets & Super Sterasyl Ceramic Candle style Filters with Activated Carbon. Here's the link to the video I made about it: bucket water filter for camp. The buckets are food grade, the filters were about 45$ for a set back then, now Amazon has them for about 75$. Crazy..

Test you water and see. But also tests have to check for something, so there's no testing for everything. Rare contaminants can slip though standard tests because every additional test adds to cost.

It's possible to make water yourself better than what the tap will supply, but it's completely on your shoulders for what comes out and it's likely to be very expensive relative to turning the faucet.

With a few notable exceptions most water contamination comes from the customer's side of the main.

Also, remember that while generally your sense of taste is generally a good indicator of quality, ethylene glycol and lead are both delicious.

Or you could just start off drinking bottled water (we get ours from a grocery store) and only use the local surface water for washing & flushing.

diy solar

diy solar
Back