diy solar

diy solar

Upgrading my Jayco trailer

jbsiii

I'm about to upgrade my batteries to dual 200AH Enduro LiFePO batteries, giving a total of 400 AH. Later on, I intend to upgrade my 1200 Watt Inverter to a Victron Multiplus II 3000 watt unit.

My Jayco is currently wired with 2/0 wire, with separate circuits and 120 amp circuit breakers set up for the inverter and for the rest of the coach, each with their own 120 amp circuit breakers. It's kinda funky, as they run both positive leads and both negative leads to each battery, along with crossover cables to help balance things out. One nice aspect of the installation is the inverter is immediately adjacent to the battery compartment, keeping the cable runs short.

I've added a Victron Smart Shunt to the system, so both negative leads go directly from each battery and then separate again for the inverter and the rest of the coach, as described above.

My plan is to:
1. Insert a 600 amp capacity bus bar and route each battery to the bus bar, with independent switches for each battery and the current independent circuit breakers for the inverter and the coach.
2. Upgrade the cables (+ and -) for the inverter to 4/0, and upgrade the circuit breaker for the inverter.

Questions:
1. Does this seem reasonable/safe?
2. What amperage circuit breaker is recommend for the Victron unit?

Any other insights are welcome.

Thanks!
John

1) Yes. Ensure you add a pre-charge circuit when you install the MP. The 1200W probably doesn't need it.

MP-II manual recommends fusing and wiring requirements.

Consult link #5 in my signature.

Back