diy solar

diy solar

Upgrading system from EG4-3000

grebaba

After playing with this for awhile I have decided to upgrade from my new EG4-3000 to the Victron 480-100 and 48-5000 when a good sale comes up.
I am hoping for a sale on July 4th or I can wait till black Friday.
I have another 21 panels coming in from San Tan solar to go with the 18 I all ready have as I decided to use my shop roof to install them.
With this setup I can run everything except my shops 10 HP compressor, water heater, electric stove and cloths dryer.
My welders will work except for my stick welder but I think all my other shop tools will run on it.
I used a kill a watt to check everything but could not check the 220 V stuff. I will just have to try and see what happens.
I think that will be enough that I can quit spending money on this stuff.
Greg

I don't see a question but as the honorary Papa Smurf of the group, I support your choice to go blue and have some comments.

The 450/100 may not support all the panels you need unless you're looking to over-panel. It has two MPPT inputs limited to 18A Imp PV input current.

I assume you're going for a MP-II 48/5000, which is an excellent choice.

Something to consider that's very cost effective with Victron inverters is to AC couple a grid tied inverter to the output of the MP. They can control an AC coupled GT inverter for additional power needs as well as charge the batteries from the GT inverter power. A ~5000W GT inverter is pretty inexpensive, and it might be a way to get more of the 39 panels working for you. It's as easy as installing an assistant on the MP.

So it doesn't bite you in the butt, make sure you get a MK3-USB adapter for programming the inverter. To load assistants, you will need VEConfigure3 installed on a Windows PC.

Also recommend a Cerbo and a smartshunt or BMV (Get a VE.Direct cable and a temperature sensor).

If you're running EG4 server rack batteries already, they can interface with the Cerbo and coordinate with the hardware.

Welcome to the cult!

Thanks for the reply.
I was between Midnight solar and Victron.
I printed out your answer as I can now research what you recommended.
Battery's are a mix as I am a beginner and bought 6 200 ah Renogy battery's when I first started and then I bought 4 100 ah Li Time's this year.
Running 2 systems side by side for now.
I am going with the MP11 and considered the MP11 10,000 but cost is an object.
I will check out the GT inverter. I had not seen them when I was online.I have the Mk3- usb device as it came with my first small Victron inverter.
Cerbo is on my list. Planned to order one on the first.
Thanks
Greg

Thanks for the reply.
I was between Midnight solar and Victron.
I printed out your answer as I can now research what you recommended.
Battery's are a mix as I am a beginner and bought 6 200 ah Renogy battery's when I first started and then I bought 4 100 ah Li Time's this year.
Running 2 systems side by side for now.
I am going with the MP11 and considered the MP11 10,000 but cost is an object.
I will check out the GT inverter. I had not seen them when I was online.I have the Mk3- usb device as it came with my first small Victron inverter.
Cerbo is on my list. Planned to order one on the first.
Thanks
Greg

Yeah, the 10k give me heartburn.

If you want 120/240V split phase, a second MP-II can be used in conjunction with the first. It won't start your compressor, but you'll have two separate 5kVA circuits for 120V and 10kVA 240V available.

To clarify, Victron does not offer GT inverters. They work with many other brands of GT inverters, but you may have to search hard for a 120V GT inverter. Most are 240V. Here's a cheap 240V:

Back